ControlLogix to ControlLogix

Patrick

Lifetime Supporting Member
I’m trying to read an address from one controller to another controller.
First controller 1756-L64 Slot 1 1756-EN2T/A
Second Controller 1756-L62 Slot 1 1756-ENBT/A
The target and destination address are the same.
What did i do wrong?

In the second pic the last number is 1 not 2.

MESS.jpg MESS1.jpg

Last edited:
try:

P1_ENET1, 2, etc.

instead of:

P1_ENET1, 1, etc.

if that doesn't help, post your ACD project file and we can tell more about what you're doing ...

Thanks for the response. It did not help. Not sure about posting the file. Company rules. What i am tring to do is read the pounds per hour. Both tags are int tags. if you need more info just ask. Sorry about file.

The processor are in slot 0. The ent cards are in slot 1.

I see where the confusion comes in after i reread my first post Sorry.

Last edited:
OK, try this then ...

P1_ENET1, 2, 172.30.110.109, 1, 0

if that doesn't do it, type EVERYTHING out, nice and neat, and give ALL of the IP addresses and slot numbers, etc. ...

tip: if you have to list everything, use a separate line for each component ...

OK. Why did that work. Both ENT cards are in slot 1.

THANKS

OK I see you reading from the controller thats why address 0. but why address 2 from the first controller?

Last edited:
here's the path breakdown:

P1_ENET1, = the assigned name of the "READING" Ethernet module

2, = means "then go out through the Ethernet port"

172.30.110.109, = "then find this IP address"

1, = "then dig down to the chassis backplane"

0 = "then go to slot 0 in the chassis"

and then the "tagname" tells which location to read from ...

survival tip: once you get it working, make CAREFUL and complete notes ... this is generally a LOT easier than trying to figure out the path from the "book" ... see chart attached ...

msgchart.JPG

Last edited:
no, the "port" is the place on the module where you plug in the Ethernet cable ... the reason that they list the port that way is because some communications modules have MORE THAN ONE port ... example: 1756-DHRIO - which has a Channel A (use port #2) and a Channel B (use port #3) ... so specifying the "port" as a number removes the ambiguity in those "multiport" cases ...

you don't need to specify the Ethernet module's slot number - since that piece of the puzzle is provided by the module's assigned "name" ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. And the clarification. I was under a missconcption that the second number was the slot that the card sat in.

thank you, Ken, for the very kind compliment ...

and to Patrick:

Miss Conception is a lady who really gets around ... you aren't the only one who's had problems with this particular puzzle ...

Last edited: