Entering Product batch # in recipe

kirk

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application where I want to log a batch # (input by customer) with a recipe. How would you go about handling this?

The PLC is a Allen Bradley Micrologix 1100 PLC conected to a terminal running RSView 32.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think a very important question is "what do you need to do with the batch number?". The answer to this question will drive what Programs and hardware you may need to accomplish your goal.

Do you just need to display on the screen?
Do you need to print out a report with the batch number?
Do you need to log batch info to a database?
Do you need to send an emal to the production manager at the end of a batch?

You have to let everyone know what you need to do with the batch number and how it will be used before anyone can answer your question.

My first inclination was to use the DATA LOGGING function in the instruction tree, but after looking at it I don't think that is an option for the Micrologix 1100.
(the way I read it is it just works on the Micrologix 1500)

I have it as a line in a spec requiring the input of a batch #. It is my understanding the scada system is going to read it. I am currently just going to put it in a Integer file, and the next entry will over write it, and if the plant system doesn't log it, it will be lost, but I think it is kind of a lame way to handle it.