CoDeSys - how to identify used Marker memory

RMA

I'm busy with my first CoDeSys project and as far as the programming itself is concerned, I was up to speed in a couple of days. The program is based on an existing program which simply needs to be adapted - so far so good - and made more modular - as far as the program itself is concerned, also sfsg. Unfortunately, the Visualisation communicates via the %M Marker memory and is at present completely unstructured - one of the requirements is to structure the %M area more sensibly - and that's where my problem starts! I can't find any way in CoDeSys to identify or, even better, list used Marker memory. Since one of the objectives is to make it easier to port the program to different hardware, I don't even have a target, so I don't even know how much Marker memory is available - from the memory usage I've seen so far, I'm guessing 2k.

Is there really no way to identify which Marker areas have been used other than searching for every possible variation of the address?

By the way, the S/W is based on CoDeSys V2.1 (which is possibly part of the problem).

Unfortunately, the Visualisation communicates via the %M Marker memory and is at present completely unstructured

Do you mean that they are not in Global_Variables folder ?

Pls. dont tell that are defined in different PRGs (n)

- one of the requirements is to structure the %M area more sensibly - and that's where my problem starts! I can't find any way in CoDeSys to identify or, even better, list used Marker memory.

I will suggest that you move all %M to the Global_Variables folder.

You can search for %M with Project>Global search

Is there really no way to identify which Marker areas have been used other than searching for every possible variation of the address?

Well there is an check for Overlapping Memory Areas
(Project>check>Overlapping Memory Areas)

By the way, the S/W is based on CoDeSys V2.1 (which is possibly part of the problem).

why ?

Pls ask again and I will try to answer you questions.

Under the project menu, there is also a Cross Reference selection you may be interested in. Just use the address selection in the Category drop down and put a * in the name field. Then select Get References.

XREF.jpg

Last edited:
1 update to newer version (it is free)
2 use pointers to where your data is.
3 some units like wago have visualisation in the plc. also any ipc will be able to have this.

Thanks for the answers guys. It looks like the cross-ref search for %M* is going to be my first port of call, followed up by getting hold of a copy of CoDeSys V2.3 (V2.1 doesn't have the ability to check for overlapping memory usage).

At present most of the Marker usage is defined in the Global Variables definition, but a good chunk of them (at a guess about 20%) are defined in other variable groups and a load are even locally defined in different parts of the program - not nice!

Edit: looks like I'm going to have to reverse my order of doing things - V2.1 doesn't accept wild cards in the cross-ref search!

Last edited: