channel configuration SLC 5/04

aleziv

Hello guys,
I will continue with beginners questions, when I was explore our factory system in slc 500 software (SLC 5/04) into folder ‘channel configuration’ I was see setup for three channels, channel 1 for DH+ driver, channel 0 –system for DF1 Full duplex and channel 0 –user for ASCII protocol ,my question is: which channel we using for what or which protocol we will use for communication with HMI (I suppose ASCII channel 0,is not?) or for communication with remains of system (devices) we will use DH+, am I wrong ?.
I hope you will understand me, off course I was read manual and something became clearest but something not, I’m sure you would be more practically.
Thank you for your time and understanding.

In a SLC 5/04 there are two comms channels. Channel 0 is the serial port and can be used for System (DF1 protocol) or user mode (ASCII).

It is possible to programmatically switch Channel 0 modes "on the fly" via logic.

So, to know for sure how it is connected, you need to know the status of some bits in the SLC Status file.

If you are able to get online with the processor using RSLogix500 through the serial port, then the port is set for System.

If you can get online with either channel using RSLogix, and open the Channel configuration page, you can read the settings from the SLC to see how it's being used.

To find out if the logic is switching modes, search your program for instances of "S:33/3" without the quotes.

Also, you can open the Processor Status file from the project explorer pane at the top left, and view it in a structured radix and see all the status bits pertaining to the channel configuration by looking at the "Chan 0" tab.

You can use DH+ to communicate with other DH+ capable devices. It is a very robust and easy network to work with, and reasonably fast enough for most applications with under 7 or 8 nodes. If there are lots of nodes, you have to be careful how much you load the network. Make sure you plan the network so that all of the DH+ nodes are wired correctly (daisy chained, proper cable), terminated correctly (resistors at end nodes only), given unique node numbers (most should use octal addressing, but beware some that may use decimal!), and have the same baud rates assigned to all devices. Some devices may only support certain baud rates, while many will support 57.6k, 115.2k, and 230.4k. Find the common denominator for all of your devices first.

Last edited:
I just want to say that was a brilliant reply Okie, well structured, and made all the right points.

I just hope aleziv gets the message, it could get lost with the language difficulty