3-phase monitoring

spaceacealpha

I got an application with a 37kw drive that needs an extra layer of output protection. This 'smart' drive single phased and over time burned up $12k worth of hoss motor and caused a bunch of downtime (because the motor still ran but growled and nullified magnetic encoders we were baffled as to the cause). I'm looking for a simple inexpensive monitor to make sure it doesn't happen again. My first thoughts is 3 CTs running 4-20mA to a Micrologix 1100 analog card but thats a lot of firepower for something simple like this.

Anybody have monitoring set up in an alternative way?

@bernie
I've bad experience with normal motor protection relays (bimetal) between the VSD and the motor. They trip unexpectedly, probably because of heating generated by the overharmonic currents.
The VSDs i've used have had built-in protection of phase loss and overutilization. But it is wise to use motors with PTC/NTC/KTY to have warning or trip if the motor is to hot (covered fan inlet or low speed).

Kalle

Why not use a standalone overload relay? I have done this in the past with excellent results. Allen Bradley, Sprecher & Schuh, Siemens all make overloads of this type. They detect phase loss as well as having thermal overload function. Use the relay to turn off the drive when it gets out of limits.