S88 Help

HenkieD

Hi All,

My company asked me to do the design for a couple of case packing machines.
I would like to use S88 because all machines are pretty much the same, sometimes the one has two infeed lanes, then the other one, etc...
I've been reading a lot about it (S88), but I am still a bit confused, secondally it's my first project with Rslogix 5K.
Can somebody explain me what the best way would be to structure it in Rslogix.
A typical machine has
- 2 infeed sections (1 pusher with two solenoids and each with position feedback)
- 1 lift table (liftmotor with brake and 3 positions)
- 1 discharge section (1 pusher with 4 solenoids for 3 positions, two strokes per case)
- 1 case table (1 lift cylinder with 2 solenoids and position feedback)
I've been working with only Siemens equipment for the last 15 years, this in combination with a first attempt to use S88 requires a little help.

Much appreciated,
Henk

S88 is a standard and everyone have a slightly different interpretation of it. If you are a ISA member you can download the S88 standard and read it. If you google 'S88 model' you can access quite a few whitepaper on implementing it.

I always use elements of S88 model that I found useful. Like grouping associated equipment/device into "control modules". Such as a flow control loop, temperature loops, etc.