Siemens WinCC Flex on Beckhoff panel

userxyz

May be a stupid question, but I'll give it a try...

For a customer of us we need to use a Beckhoff panel. Because the customer is not happy with the lifetime of a Siemens panel. It's for the food industry. Beckhoff panel: CP7702-1400-0030.

We want to keep working with WinCC Flex. Because the software is allready been written for the application.

On the Beckhoff Panel: XP is installed.

So: WinCC Flex with a tag license will do the job.

But, isn't it possible to load an IMG file from an MP377 to this panel, to eliminate the tag license...

1st, if you could just copy an image from one PC to another, it would be illegal.

2nd, Siemens MP panels run on Win CE, not Win XP.

3rd, the software on Siemens MP panels are taylored to the hardware. The MP panels normally use some non-i86 CPU, such as an ARM for example.

So, just buy a WinCC Flex PC RT license.
Beckhoffs panel PCs are expensive.
WinCC Flex RT 128 tags is cheap.

k

1. Yes you're right. These IMG, ment for OS update are only legal on Siemens panels. I agree.

2. Yes I know, CE or XP embeded, this doesn't matter, as long as I can run a runtime.

3. That's also what I tought, that it goes together with their panels, only for their panels.

First panel to convert: 942 tags. 128 tag license (around 400 euros) will not be enough. These licences are very expensive for PC runtimes. That's the reason for my questioning. Siemens also has IP66 inox panels, but the customer don't want Siemens in the house, he kinda hates them. Donno if Beckhoff will do better in the wet environement.

Thanks for the reply,
Regards,
Gerry

1st, if you could just copy an image from one PC to another, it would be illegal.

2nd, Siemens MP panels run on Win CE, not Win XP.

3rd, the software on Siemens MP panels are taylored to the hardware. The MP panels normally use some non-i86 CPU, such as an ARM for example.

So, just buy a WinCC Flex PC RT license.
Beckhoffs panel PCs are expensive.
WinCC Flex RT 128 tags is cheap.

As Jesper said, it's not possible.
Just change the device and get the RT license, doesn't cost that much, if the customer wants it, he needs to pay for it.

We have several Siemens OP's that have been operational for several years now, and this is the food industry. Yet we don' have any issues with the lifespan. Did they say why the panels keep dying?

Close to 1000 tags would be necessary for a not-so-small project.
That, or some tidying up could reduce the tag count, or pack the tags as array tags.

I would definitely consider to only install the screen in the plant, and then connect the screen to the PC via a KVM extender. The PC can then be in a central PC room or control room.

Well

Well,

Indeed, we gave the panels to an electronic company in Belgium to check why they don't live very long.

After 5 years they die, that's the reason why he hates them.

Donno why yet, when I know more I'll place it in here. It must be something in the power supply section...

As Jesper said, it's not possible.
Just change the device and get the RT license, doesn't cost that much, if the customer wants it, he needs to pay for it.

We have several Siemens OP's that have been operational for several years now, and this is the food industry. Yet we don' have any issues with the lifespan. Did they say why the panels keep dying?

If the panels are PC RT, then you already have a license.
Even if the panels die, you can still reuse the PC RT license on another PC.

edit: Like suggested before, if you place the PC in a central control room, you can easily supply it via a (good quality) UPS. That will take care of overvoltages in the supply voltage.

Last edited:
Jesper

Thanks for the tip, but I think I'll go for Beckhoff panel + PC runtime 2048 tags. It will be not much more expensive then the MP377 15".

I just tested this on the Beckhoff panel:

Installed WinCC Flex Runtime
converted my panel to PC runtime and compiled it
copied to the beckhoff panel and opened the fwx file
resolution was not right at first, but after correcting this, very good screen quality

If the panels are PC RT, then you already have a license.
Even if the panels die, you can still reuse the PC RT license on another PC.

edit: Like suggested before, if you place the PC in a central control room, you can easily supply it via a (good quality) UPS. That will take care of overvoltages in the supply voltage.