Sienens S7 Ethernet options

cjd1965

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi
I have been asked to provide an ethernet connect to a PLC that I am supplying. Usual spec is a 315-2DP.

What is the best method of getting ethernet, my supplier is talking about a combined profinet/profibus card... is profinet suitable for 'standard ethernet'?

The customer will be using intouch to interogate my plc

Cheers

, my supplier is talking about a combined profinet/profibus card.
I know of no such "combined" Profinet/Profibus card. Maybe is meant a gateway adapter from Ethernet to MPI/DP. There are several suppliers of these, Deltalogic, IBH, and others.

The best is to swap the 315-2DP for a 315-2PN/DP. The latest generation 315-2PN/DP is a sweet PLC.

Another alternative is to add a CP343-1 to the S7-300 rack.
The CP343-1 LEAN is probably enough for you appliction.

OT
The customer will be using intouch to interogate my plc
That would be a violation of the geneva conventions.

Hi how does a CP315-2PN/DP sound for this? Or is a CP343-1 a better bet

cheers

A 315-2PN/DP will always win in my mind.

The CP343-1 can give a few more options that the onboard PN port doesnt, but it is irrelevant to you. And the ethernet port on 315-2PN/DP is much faster than the CP343-1.

Hi Jesper got caught on a cross post... so is the ethernet functionality of a CP315-2PN/DP the same as a CP343-1 ? My supplier is suggesting the CP315-2PN/DP as you also suggested. I have not used the ethernet before with Siemens so am probably asking stupid questions

No, they are not exactly the same.

But to put it shortly, the PN port on the 315-2PN/DP is better than a CP343-1.
edit: and be sure to get the latest version (-EH14) !

You should start to think in ethernet. We have long only been using ethernet for programming and HMIs, and it has been great.
We are on the path to switch also the i/o from Profibus to Ethernet so the transformation becomes complete.

For ethernet communication right now I am going the other way. I have a control panel that has been manufactured with the 315-2 PN/DP. I want to be able to provide a way for the end user to change the IP address of the PLC and HMI. This is not possible with the CPU 315-2 PN/DP (but Siemens says it is coming soon).

The Lean Ethernet module supports IP address changes by the PLC program. Plus it costs less to use a CPU315-2DP with the Lean Ethernet CP343-1 than to use the CPU315-2PN/DP. Previously the CPU315-2DP did not have as much memory as the CPU315-2PN/DP, but now they are the same at 256kb. I am seeing scan times of 1-2ms with the CPU315-2DP so I don't think I am giving up any performance.

The downside to using a Lean Ethernet module is it occupies a slot in a rack whereas the CPU solution doesn't take up any space.

I want to be able to provide a way for the end user to change the IP address of the PLC and HMI. This is not possible with the CPU 315-2 PN/DP (but Siemens says it is coming soon).
IP change via code is coming with firmware 3.2 and STEP7 5.5.

Plus it costs less to use a CPU315-2DP with the Lean Ethernet CP343-1 than to use the CPU315-2PN/DP.
If you REALLY want to cut costs, then consider the latest IM151-8, which has recently been released.

Previously the CPU315-2DP did not have as much memory as the CPU315-2PN/DP, but now they are the same at 256kb.
The newest 315-2PN/DP has 384 kB against the 256 kB of the 315-2DP.

The downside of the CP343-1 LEAN is that the ethernet peformance is MUCH less than the PN port on the 315-2PN/DP or IM151-8.
Of course, the CP343-1 LEAN may be "good enough".