slc configuration

sruthi

I am having a slc (5/05) of Allen Bradly and am unable to configure it in rs linx.

the driver i've selected is rs-232 and the settings in the configuration window are as follows

baud rate-19200
stop bits-1
parity-none
device-slc/micro

i've checked all the communication cables and they are working.

Auto configuration error- Failed to find error checking mode.pls check the cables and switch settings

Anybody pls reply soon

Last edited:
I am having a slc (5/05) of Allen Bradly and am unable to configure it in rs linx.

the driver i've selected is rs-232 and the settings in the congiguratino window are as follows

baud rate-19200
stop bits-1
parity-none
device-slc/micro

i've checked all the communication cables and they are working.

Auto configuration error- Failed to find error checking mode.pls check the cables and switch settings

Anybody pls reply soon

Use the RS-232 DF1 Devices Driver, make sure that SLC-CH0/Micro/PanleView is selected as the Device, then do an Auto Configure. If communications is possible, that should make it happen. Also, make sure you are using a Null Modem Cable.

Stu.....

Last edited:
Is this a new SLC5/05 or does it already have a program in it?

If it has a program in it can you post it here, its .RSS file ( zip it first). Or look at its channel configuration to see how the serial port is configured.

It is an old SLC(5/05) and it was used for many applications also.I dont have an idea of which program has been downloaded into it.and moreover can i know what can we do by knowing which program is present in the slc now?

Its not about the program i guess..because Auto configuration in rslinx is no-where related with the program in the slc right?

Where can i find the serial settings in Channel configuration?

On the DF1 driver in RSLinx you have to set the Comms port number , if you have a real serial port the 9 pin D shell on your computer its often comms 1
If you are using a USB to serial adapter then you need to find out what the USB port number is for the Comms number , from Control panel Device Manager.

Heyy MICKEY , SMOKE , GiL47 all you ppl said has been already checked and no mistakes found.

I am using a crossover rs-232 cable only, Channel configuration is also the same, and i've checked communication port also.

NO errors related to the above

Actually problem is that the slc is not being detected when i am connecting it to a serial modem.Even when am trying to configure the slc directly using a serial-usb converter its not being auto-configured.

When not getting auto configured what should i do?
when slc is not getting detected what should i do?

Not all USB to serial adapters work.

Have you tried to configure RSLinx manually to match the SLC's port configuration?

It may be that the current program has Channel 0 set to DH-485 mode. I've run into that a few times where a machine builder uses a PanelView with DH-485 protocol over RS-232 communications. As long as the program doesn't matter, return the processor to "Initial Factory Conditions" by removing the battery and shorting the VBB and GND connections for 60 seconds. That's covered in the SLC Modular Hardware User Manual. The Channel 0 default configuration is shown under "Initialize and Test Your Processor."

After you follow Mike's advice to restore the 5/05 to factory defaults, be aware that some USB-Serial converters don't work well with autoconfigure, so you still may have to manually try different baud rates. IIRC, some of the very old firmware revisions would default to 2400baud, but the newer ones should default to 9600 or 19.2k.

also make sure that you don't have a Memory Module chip plugged into the processor (next to the battery) ... if the program has been "burned" into that, the old program might automatically be "reloaded" into the processor - even after you've "killed" it back to its default settings ...

you also mentioned a "serial MODEM" back in post #8 ... are you talking about extra hardware? ... if so, take that out of the picture until AFTER you get it working with just a plain crossover cable ...