Moeller easy512

adamsjd

I am completely new to programming PLCs and I'm trying to get a simple timer circuit to work. I need to close the relay for one output for a specific amount of time then open the relay again. After that relay is open I then need it to wait a second or so before closing the second relay for a specified time. That relay needs to open again and then wait a second or so before starting the cycle again.

As an example... I need light bulb 1 to turn on for 1 second and then turn off. After a 1 second pause I need light bulb 2 to turn on for one second. Again I need a 1 second pause before starting the cycle over with light bulb 1. The times need to be adjustable to change according to application.

I have input 1 as a switch to turn the cycle on and off. Below is what I have programed so far but output one and two both activate at the same time and I cant figure out a way to offset them.

I1 -- -- TT1
T1 -- -- {Q1
Q1 -- -- TT2
T2 -- -- {Q2

As a bad coincidence I have an Automatic Control Systems class this upcoming fall where im sure I'll learn all of this but I need to get this done in the next few days.

At this point I don't really know much about PLC's even after spending hours reading manuals and online tutorials. Thanks for any help you can provide.

-Josh

As always there are a couple of ways to do this, I don't want to do the programming for you and so will try to give some pointers. The main problem you have is using Q1 to send power to T2, but you are on the right track. I would first set up four timers in a cascade and use one on-delayed timer to switch the power to the next. Once you have the timers switching in a cascade you need a way to get the cascade to reset, so look at using a contact on the last timer to remove power from the first. Once you have a resetting cascade of timers then look at using some timer contacts to switch the coils. You will need some logic that says if timer 1 is complete but timer 2 isn't then the coil is powered but if timer 1 and timer 2 are complete then don't power the output coil.

Let me know if that helps.

Bryan

Im still a bit lost on how to make this work out. I dont really seem to grasp how to cascade the timers... Also, is there a way to even do logic with the easy512? From what I can tell it is only ladder logic. Give me some good 'ol fashion C or java or anything with conventional logic and I'd be golden. I'm just not really getting all the ladder logic and controls of the contacts and relay coils. The timers are whats really getting me though. Thanks for your help and if theres anything that you may know that could help nudge me along on this I would appreciate it.

Ladder logic can be foreign if you are more used to C, but once you get going it is pretty easy.

Simple timer cascade attached. It doesn't self reset so you will have to figure that out, then you will have to figure out how to use the contacts from the timers to run the outputs. Click on a Timer and go to Parameters to see that they are On-delayed with a 1 second set point/constant. On-delayed just means that the associated contact closes shortly after power has been applied to the coil. You should, of course, give the timers names and annotate (add Notes) to the circuit diagram so that others can read it easily.

Go to Simulate and click on the Arrow to start the simulation, the timer output contacts will switch on in sequence.

Bryan