simple motion control solution

pmdavis300

I need an inexpensive solution to my problem. i want to connect a motor to a chain drive that will rotate a load, basically it will be a little vice contraption that will rotate a 17lb box 180 degrees. the probelm is i need it to stop within a half of an inch of that 180 degree mark everytime. my intial thought was to just put a prox switch on there to detect when the 'vice' was in the correct position, but obviously there will be some over travel and even with slightly offsetting the prox switch to compensate for the over travel i dont think i would get consistant results every time. my thought was to do a servo motor and it would just correct itself after it stopped, but thats going to cost me thousands of dollars i think.... i dont want to spend more then $500 or so. any ideas?

Last edited:
can you slow the drive motor down to a "creep"? ...

if so, consider TWO prox sensors ... the first one puts the motor in the "creep" speed as it approaches the correct position ... the second sensor actually stops the motor ...

another possible solution:

provide a simple mechanical "stop" that you can actuate to move it into position as the table is rotating - and then retract the "stop" out of the way whenever it's not needed ...

Where are you measuring 1/2" at ? 25" from the pivot or 0.25" from center?
No servos don't auto adjust you have to program them just link you do anything else.
Do you have all the motor, gear box, & mechanical systems? $500 dollars is not going to buy you much of a system.

Where are you measuring 1/2" at ? 25" from the pivot or 0.25" from center?
No servos don't auto adjust you have to program them just link you do anything else.
Do you have all the motor, gear box, & mechanical systems? $500 dollars is not going to buy you much of a system.

1/2 from about 8in from center... im just talking about a motor for $500. i dont care about the other equipment so much its cheaper.

can you slow the drive motor down to a "creep"? ...

if so, consider TWO prox sensors ... the first one puts the motor in the "creep" speed as it approaches the correct position ... the second sensor actually stops the motor ...

another possible solution:

provide a simple mechanical "stop" that you can actuate to move it into position as the table is rotating - and then retract the "stop" out of the way whenever it's not needed ...

cant creap, the process will need to be relativly fast. i did think of mechanical stops but i was hoping for a more practacle solution like a braked motor or something as mentioned above

How about a brake clutch in the drive train?

See this link for one brand of many;
http://www.southernpower.com/nexen/nexen.cfm

Alot of info is missing to get good answers:
How fast?
HP of current/proposed motor?
How many start/stops per min?

not sure yet of any of those... i would like to get a 180 degree rotation in maybe .5-1second
thinking maybe 1/2 hp??? load is 17lbs.

Do a google search for "brakemotor". It's your best and simplest answer.

Do not use an inverter drive. You will have to add braking resistors after buying the drive and then you have to program the drive. Way more complex than necessary.

If wearing out the brake disc on the motor is an issue, you might want to consider a DC injection brake. This is an inexpensive electronic device that connects to your starter and shoots DC into the motor when the starter opens. The DC makes the motor stop turning almost immediately without anything wearing out. Braking intensity and brake on time is adjustable.

I would think "mechanical" and not "control".
A 180 deg pneumatic actuator and valve should cost less than 200 bucks. That will still leave you 300 bucks for machining and maybe enough left over for beer.