Simple Motion Control question

junkerjorg

I am looking to use an encoder type motor to drive a set of rollers to a precise, repeatable spot which will allow a cutter to cut sheets to an operator specified length. I plan to use a compactlogix PLC. Any suggestions on motor and PLC interface? I was thinking a high speed counter card would be sufficient?

If there is any possibility of slippage between the drive motor and the material, you may want to consider an auxiliary encoder for a feed to length application.

Is this a feed to length, stop and cut operation, or a flying shear?

What is the approximate power requirement of the driven equipment?

For similar applications, I have had success with SEW brand, mostly using their servo motors and a Movidrive VSD controller. It has a resolver built in for positioning, and can also take an extra encoder for increased accuracy (I never needed to use this) and has quite a bit of built in functionality. It would then communicate with your PLC using Devicenet or Ethernet IP. You will not need a high speed card with this option.