cheap way to connect to a 5/04 dh+?

pmdavis300

is it possible to make a dh+ to usb cable? i see one online but its $1000.... if i was an older man id of had a heart attack. dh+ to pcmcia is still like $700.... is there a cheaper way to do this? and why in the sam hill are these cables so expensive??? is it just because its ab?

Question 1: "is it possible to make a dh+ to usb cable?"
Answer: Yes. Allen-Bradley makes one, as does EquusTek/DataLink.

Is it possible to make your own ? Probably, but you would need to go through a similar development process that would take months and cost many tens of thousands of dollars.

Comment 4: "dh+ to pcmcia is still like $700...."
Answer: The 1784-PCMK card is no longer in production. This was the only PCMCIA to DH+ device ever built.

Question 2: "is there a cheaper way to do this?"
Answer: If "this" is a PC to DH+ interface using USB or PCMCIA, then no, there isn't. You have identified the principal products on the market and their retail price ranges.

If "this" is "connect to a DH+ device from my computer", then the answer is "maybe". You may have a device that already performs DH+ bridging, like an SLC-5/04 or ControlLogix 1756-DHRIO module.

Rhetorical questions can be resubmitted.

You can get a 1747-UIC, which is usb/serial converter for $313.00. Yes if it says AB on it it costs. Don't complain it does not help.

Oops I was thinking DH-485, I was taking the sidewalk not the highway.

Last edited:
Cheap

Use the RS-232 port on the 5/04.
By default I think it is DF1 (Point to Point), but It can also be set up for RS-232(DH-485) multi-node.

Hello,

> what?

You asked "is it just because its ab?"

AB has not released the specification for DH+ to the public. AB has "closely guarded" all information concerning it. While you might be able to reverse engineer it or purchase the specification from AB, few have been successful. The third party market is nearly nil for DH+.

So part of the answer is the above paragraph and the remainder is as Ken stated, IMHO. AB has always charged a premium for their communication products. There are exceptions but not many.

Good luck,

Mark
http://www.peakhmi.com/

We got rid of our last DH+ system about a 2 years ago. I can't remember is my pcmcia card got killed before or after that time (people kept tripping on the cord until the connection went bad). I might have used the UIC cable to connect to it, but I can't remember?

The OP keyword here is cheap and IMHO there is nothing cheap about or in this industry at all.

Automation and cheap are not two words that normally go together nor would you want them to. AB stuff is a bit more pricey that other companies but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

If you need this as a stop-over then find an old 1770-KF2. If you need this for real production for an extended period of time or for something critical get a new 1770-KF2 (not cheap).

I just checked e-bay and there are a bunch of these up for auction. Average price is around $250. I'd sell you one of my junkers but I live in Israel so I don't know how long it'd take to get it to you.

Good Luck,

(8{)} :) .)