formula for time worked

Goody

Now then guys - seeing as there have been a few off topic questions lately and I know there are some great mathematicians visit this site, I need a formula for working out actual time worked in hours & minutes. (This is for a spread-sheet not plc.)

I have a chap on loan to a company and he has been issued with a swipe card to clock in and out. They send me a weekly printout of his ‘in and out’ times.

Something like MONDAY IN 07:59 - OUT 17:16 etc, he does not work set hours.

I set up a spreadsheet to work it out but try as I might, I cannot get it right. I end up working the hours out on my fingers.

The above example should be 9 Hours, 17 minutes (not counting lunch break) but if I deduct ‘in’ time from ‘out’ time I get 9.57. I am sure there is a formulae for it - does anyone know it?

Use =TIMEVALUE("7:59") format to put in the times. It converts time to a number. Format the all cells as time and it will display

I  7:59  I  17:16  I  9:17  I

Goody,

Format two columns for time. I selected the first choice. (I think it is short time. 13:30) Then do a subtraction on the cells.

Bob O.

time spread sheet.jpg

Thanks Kevin and Bob, that is bang on the nail.
I never knew there was a timevalue command. (i do now lol)

In my job I am the technician, the secratary, the accountant, the cleaner and the IT man

Thnx its much appreciated.

Last edited: