PCMK and Windows 7

Piper

I have good news and bad news. With version 2.55 and later the PCMK card will work with with Vista 32 bit. I have tried it with Windows 7 and it works. The only issue is the very slow up load times. We are working to figure this out but the great news that it works. 🍻
We have found a Systemmax computer that has both a serial port and a pcmcia slot so this is great news. The USB replacement is very expensive, prone to failure by design (molded cables in a box) and nowheres near as flexible as the PCMK. As I understand it the USB will not allow you to access the devicenet thru the backplane. This means I have to carry yet another cable that will fail.

Might not be a big issue to you but considering that the USB cable to talk on DH+ costs around $1700 using a pcmk card that we already own is a big plus. For $1700 I can buy a heck of a lot of computing power.
The USB won't do pass thru, won't talk to SlC5/03 either(you need another $300 dollar cable to do this).

won't talk to SlC5/03 either(you need another $300 dollar cable to do this).

USB-1747-CP3

around 30.00 for an after market, if you need to go to the DH485 then we also offer a 1747-UIC (also an aftermarket) 85

It may save you a few bucks

I am surprised the computer with Vista or 7 will hold a PCMK card. I tried to put one into my personal laptop only to learn the slot was for a remote not a card.

For work I still use the Dell D series with XP and a com port and a card slot.

Last edited:
USB-1747-CP3

around 30.00 for an after market, if you need to go to the DH485 then we also offer a 1747-UIC (also an aftermarket) 85

It may save you a few bucks

The cable I am talking about is the 1784-U2DHP. I have found no aftermarket replacement for this cable which costs $1700. I have a lot of options for a serial connection except for the fact that most of the time the serial port is used for a touchscreen connection so there is no way to talk to the plc except DH+.

I am surprised the computer with Vista or 7 will hold a PCMK card. I tried to put one into my personal laptop only to learn the slot was for a remote not a card.

For work I still use the Dell D series with XP and a com port and a card slot.
I think I have found a Dell as well but we have the SystemMax in the building. You can get them from Tiger Direct. At $1600 for this computer it is not cheap one but this is a "tough book" hardend computer. it basically came down to $900 for a computer and $1700 for a cable or $1600 for a computer anduse my existing PCMK card. Net savings $1000.00... I'll take that everytime!

To answer your question dmroeder the RSLinx v2.55 will automatically load in the drive you need for the device.

The cable I am talking about is the 1784-U2DHP. I have found no aftermarket replacement for this cable which costs $1700. I have a lot of options for a serial connection except for the fact that most of the time the serial port is used for a touchscreen connection so there is no way to talk to the plc except DH+.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250665892158

Its not a aftermarket but it will still save you a few bucks, there are also several aftermarket cables out there

As far as the laptop goes.... http://www.dell.com/us/en/business/....aspx?refid=laptop_latitude_e5500&cs=04&s=bsd

Has a real serial port and PCMCIA... I got mine a few weeks back and love it, Windows 7 with XP Mode loaded and all for around 700 bucks (new from Dell)