Control Panel Design

kdcui

Lifetime Supporting Member
Would anyone be able to point me to some resources and/or literature on control panel design?

I don't come from an electrical background, and I don't normally spec panels. I've been able to pick up a lot from experience but there are still finer points (determining breaker / fuse sizes, high / low isolation, etc) that I've yet to actually have someone or something say: "This is how it's done."

The way my company is operating, I'm going to need to be more proactive about honing my automation skills and it would be beneficial to me to have a firmer grasp on panel design.

Thanks.

Thanks for the link.

I guess I should qualify my post a bit:

I'm not necessarily looking to build a panel (as my end goal), however I often work in panels, need to trouble shoot I/O, execute validation and qualification activities, etc...

I feel like if I can more easily identify the reasoning behind certain design choices in a panel I can do my job more efficiently, and be more informed about the systems I'm working on.

For example: I just completed a project where we took an old skidded piece of equipment that was about 10 years old. The system didn't have much for control on it (just a VFD), but it was collecting several analog inputs. There were no electrical schematics so I had to trace down the wiring myself. Not having designed a panel before, all I really have to go off of is what I have seen in other panels, and I wasn't sure if the fuse sizes were adequate (they were all inconsistent) and had several questions about the panel layout that I think I could have more easily dealt with if I had a better understanding of panel design.

Last edited:
Well, that's really a hard one to answer generically or globally... If you ask 100 people for Panel Design Guidelines, you'll get at least that many responses. How I design a panel is probably not the same way that Mickey would design a panel. Things would be similar, sure, but we wouldn't lay the panel out the same way. As a matter of fact, I would probably design a panel differently today than I did a year ago.

Perhaps if you have specific questions you'll get better answers... A particular problem, or a particular "inconsistency".

Well, that's really a hard one to answer generically or globally... If you ask 100 people for Panel Design Guidelines, you'll get at least that many responses. How I design a panel is probably not the same way that Mickey would design a panel. Things would be similar, sure, but we wouldn't lay the panel out the same way. As a matter of fact, I would probably design a panel differently today than I did a year ago.

Perhaps if you have specific questions you'll get better answers... A particular problem, or a particular "inconsistency".

Ditto,Ditto. I could not say better.

You should check out the greenhouse thread that (I think) is still live.

There was some good stuff in there about layout and junk.

Also there was a good thread not too long ago about proper grounding procedures.

If you can ever get the chance to participate in building a panel, new or used, do so. That would be a quick way to learn about them.

This is a typical set up

Master control relay/ Disconnect
emergency-stop circuit device

terminal Isolation
blocks transformer

PLC

terminal blocks

I like you aproach jtashaner..I do build my own panels for my employer and, also work on other manufacturer's panels. Your guideline is the best broad aproach, and if you combine that aproach with the National Electrical Code, that is a win win combination

There are many pics of panels here. If you want osha's view on this I can post there non binding view on e-stops.

I am a programmer and I love to build panels. The whole safety thing is going to make me kill myself. I would say don't document what you learn here. Ignorance is bliss.

Last edited: