2 Magelis displays and AB Micrologix

prgmti

I've got 2 Magelis XBTGT5340 displays that I need to display identical information from the Micrologix plc. I initially had issues with the programming in Vijeo designer, but I've worked all the bugs out and am only having connection issues now. Tech support from Schneider Electric told me all I would need is an ethernet cable between the two displays, but when I do that, only the display connected directly to the plc shows any data, the other display gives me a timeout error and shows no data. If anybody could help me out with the correct way to connect everything, I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

Did they specify that you would need a patch or cross-over cable? If the HMIs don't auto-sense the cable type then you'll need the right one.

No, he just told me to use a cat 5 cable from ethernet port on display 1 to ethernet on display 2. Is a crossover cable normally what is used in this application?

It is a Micrologix 1400. The way it's connected now is from the RS232 port on the plc to COM1 on the first display, and from the ethernet port on the first display to the ethernet port on the second display. Keep in mind that the first display is working correctly. At first we were having issues with just downloading the program to the second display, but we eventually resolved that. Now, we just have an issue with getting a "No reply from the PLC, timeout error" on the second display. Thanks

The Magelis displaies need to have different IP addresses.
PLC: 192.168.1.1
Display1: 192.168.1.2
Display2: 192.168.1.3

Subnet mask for all: 255.255.255.0

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Sorry,
The ML1400 can communicate through Ethernet/IP. You can only connect to
One device at a time through the onboard comm port.
I would setup the Ethernet/IP. The Magelis displays can communicate Ethernet/IP.

I agree with swimmy on this. Put both the screens and plc on one ethernet network. You have a lot of functions specifically dealing with two or more screens. Input synchronisation, data sharing etc.
Normally with schneider plc's it doesnt matter if you use straight or cross-over cables to the xbt.
If however you want to use screen one to connect to plc and via screen 1 connect to screen two I think you will have to use data sharing feature. Also this would make life alot more difficult than just putting both the screens and plc on one ethernet network

It would be easier to do that, but the customer doesn't want it setup that way. Everything we do with them is a mess, the customer is NASA, btw. I believe a crossover cable is what I need to make this work instead of the patch cable that I was using, but I won't know until tomorrow when I give it a try.