Question about which output to get for PLC

aekzeus21

I am designing a robot that will require a PLC and am having trouble starting my project. I am hoping to get some advice on which one to get. Basically the PLC is going to control 2 drive motors and 1 lifting mechanism as well as some input switches. All devices will be powered by 24V DC batteries. I have narrowed it down to using a CLICK PLC from automation direct. I was wondering if I should get DC output or relay output. Thanks for the help.

-Mike

since it is battery powered, it will be DC even if you use relay outputs. you need to see if outputs can handle load, how frequently they need to be switched etc.

well the motors will be drawing 3A which is the most for the system. The lifting output will not be switched much but the motors will. I figure I will need relays from the PLC to the motor no matter what. Also is sinking or sourcing better for the input. By the way thanks for responding

The norm is sinking for input sourcing for output.

Inductive loads on PLC outputs, even if they are relay, hurts them.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read your previous post properly.

Last edited:
Given your requirements, seeing as you are not going to be rapidly switching your outputs, relays should be sufficient.

The Click only offers 1 amp outputs, therefore you will require additional relays to interface with your outputs, in order to handle the load.

Might I suggest a controller that will not require the additional components.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/Entertron/smart-pak.htm

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Shalom and God Bless,