S7 improting GSD files

Robobob

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am starting a new S7 project. In starting up the hardware config I cannot find the correct CPU in the catalog. I found the correct file on the Siemens website and down loaded it to my hard drive. In trying to import it to the catalog I keep getting the error "Not installed. Error while verifying GSD file." Any thoughts.
BOB

And that doesn't always work, I have encountered two recent projects with CPU's that were newer than the current HW catalog from Siemens. There is a flag when you download the HW config that says the cpu online is newer than the offline version.

But the HW catalog update has always fixed the problem of question marks. You can still download and proceed with your project.

It's interesting that the hardware I am looking at is newer than the catalog, on multiple occasions.

I have a major problem at the moment, just received a hardware upgrade from and OEM. the new processor is 315-2 PN/DP, model number 6ES7 315-2EH14-0AB0. My PG is fairly old, but in perfect running order, with Windows 2000 on it, and i am using Step 7 Ver 5.4 SP3.

When i tried to go online with it, I had the same problem, could see it, but not available. So of to Siemens website, dowload hardware updates, install them, still no luck. So back to Siemens forum, post my problem, answer back was i needed SP5, which is freely available, which i did, 75Megs mind you. Try to install, no go, my PG is a Pentium 3, Step 7 Ver 5.4 SP5 needs at least a Pentium4, with XP professional or Vista. I cant upgrade my OS as those two do not support a Pentium 3, plus I still have MEDOC on it, those that dont know, MEDOC is a dos based program.

How's that, so now I am totally SCR*&^%. Back to local Siemens to price a new PG. R99 000 for a new one, thats 14,145 USD or 10,484 EUR or 8,938 GBP, what a bloody ripoff :mad:

Last edited:
When I updated the HWcatalog the catalog stopped working in the HWmanager. I had to go back and reinstall Step 7. Also the Cpu I am using is not in the update. The part number is 6ES7 315-2EH14-0AB0. At this point I just used the part number 6ES7 315-2EH13-0AB0 and I am continuing on. This is my first Step 7 project in over ten years. I am an AB guy.

@ TurpoUrpo, yes i know it will work, but my dos based programs wont.

@Robobob, what version and service pack are you using?, see my little rant above

@ TurpoUrpo, yes i know it will work, but my dos based programs wont.

@Robobob, what version and service pack are you using?, see my little rant above

You can install two OS in your computer if there is enough free space. Newer Os must in this case be installed afterwards.

Im pretty sure medoc works with Windows Xp and I have a collegue that claims he can run medoc via Vmware virtual machine with Xp and a windows vista host..

yes, you know that, I know that, my boss doesnt, and I actually do need a new laptop anyway 🍺

Ah, ok. I based only on your rant about 10k pg. So you do know, but you want new laptop and i do agree that P3 is so slow already that it should work only as fishingnet weight or irc boxo_O

Ah, ok. I based only on your rant about 10k pg. So you do know, but you want new laptop and i do agree that P3 is so slow already that it should work only as fishingnet weight or irc boxo_O

I agree to that, my boss has agreed to buy a new one, he had no option really :)

Can you do me a favour, just for interest sake, can you price a PG in Finland part no. 6ES7 7151-CC20-0AD0. Here in S.A. Siemens products are hell expensive, I would like to see if they are ripping us of here