What devices need a GSD file / Modbus to profinet

plcnoob69

I have a device that is connected via modbus to a modbus-profinet converter, and then to a scalance switch. I have no idea how to establish communiation with this device, I tried searching for GSD files of the device and the modbus-profinet converter but can't find any... Maybe I don't need these devices in my hardware configuration?
If that's the case, what do I do, how to even start? I read the manuals but they don't talk about this.

My understanding is, yes you do need gsd/gsdml files. I do not know another way to do it. Otherwise the PLC can not communicate to the device.

Some websites do not let you download the gsdml files unless you register and log in to the website. For example, Control Concepts and IFM make you register and log in, as far as far as I remember.

What is the device? How old is it?

If you can't find the gsdml files online or in the manual, call the manufacturer. It is their job to supply users with gsdml files so

What is the device? Maybe someone else here has used it

I just had a project like this... Used these device per the customer.

Prosoft Gateway PLX51-PBS

https://www.prosoft-technology.com/...IP-Modbus-R-TCP-IP-or-Modbus-R-Serial-Gateway
You can generate the GSD files needed to make this work using the configuration utility software.

Their help is a little Janky when it comes to setting up profibus to Modbus comms, but basically you'll need to create those modules that the profibus setup will see as virtual cards and internally Map them to modbus registers in the configuration utility.

It will probably take you a bit of time to get it working exactly, but it does work.

This device could be an alternative for you.... What device are you using currently that's giving you problems?