Simultaneously connecting 2 devices to 1 RS 232 port.

chippieboy

I have a piece of equipment that is operated by a PanelView Plus 600 HMI touch screen via RS232 into a Micrologix 1500 PLC.

I am trying to troubleshoot the machine by connecting RSLogix 500 via a laptop to the PLC's RS232 port but need the Touch screen to be connected to operate the machine as well. I can connect successfully with the laptop but don't know how to connect the PanelView and RSLogix simultaneously. Any ideas?

The LRP model has two serial ports. One on the front, and one on the side. The LSP has a single serial port. If you have the LSP model, you could try a port splitter 1747-DPS1 .

Currently I am connecting the PC to the PLC with the 1747-CP3 cable. That is DB9 on both ends. My laptop has the real old school Com port. (I don't have the best of luck with the USB emulators). The Panelview also connects with the same DB9 connecting cable.

The 1747-DPS1 seems to be the round connector similar to the Microtouch cable. Does AB make a DB9 port splitter?

Can I perhaps connect the PC to the PLC with the Microtouch cable with the round port on the front and connect the Panelview on the DB9 side port?

So I plugged the Panelview back into the PLC and connected my Microtouch to Com1 cable into the front of the PLC and it connected right away, all by it's self. I guess I answered my own question. Thanks again everybody.

RS232 is a 1:1 communication, only two devices, you cannot insert a third device.

Either the PLC has a second RS232 port or you change all for something more actual like Ethernet.