How to extract GSD file from STEP 7 project

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi guys,
I need a GSD file for the following sinamics drive (S120).
IO Device SINAMICS S120 CU320-2 PN V4.4 PN-V2.2 with DriveES/SIMOTION interface, supports RT, IRT and isochronous operation.
Order nr is: 6SL3 040-1MA01-0Axx,
firmware version is v4.4

I can find this drive in the HW catalog in the HWconfig list. Now, I know that usually GSD files are stored in the S7DATA\GSD folder, but I'm not sure how tto identify this particular drive.

IS there any other way I can extract GSD file from the existing project like shown in the attached picture?

The easiest way would be to search Siemens portal and indeed I found there this page: https://support.industry.siemens.co...inamics-s120-profinet-gsd-file?dti=0&lc=en-WW

but it is for v4.6 and higher.

Perhaps, it is easier when I share how its properties look like in the HWConfig. This is attached as a second screenshot

Thank you!

2023_09_11_14_53_59_Step7_Sinamics GSD.png 2023_09_11_15_32_52_Step7_SinamicsProperties.png

Last edited:
Thank you, but I already looked at that. Didn't try it since in my case drive is PROFINET node and not Profibus.

I'll try what L D[AR2,P#0.0] suggested. There must be a way to extract this somehow, it is OK in STEP 7 v5.6 HWConfig, and cannot identify the file if it is in the S7DATA\GSD.
Basically, I need to create a xml file from the existing current configuration.

Ok, feedback. I have tried the way that L D[AR2,P#0.0] suggested and it seemed promising.
I can see Sinamics S120 drives in the tree as shown in the attached picture.
The problem is the step where I need to specify the original GSDML file and I don't have that.
I only have STEP7 v5.6 project where these drives are used in the HWConfig.
This is what I know and what STARTER can find:
Device family: SINAMICS
Device SINAMICS S120
Device version: CU320-2 PN
Order nr: 6SL3 040-1MA01-0Axx
Version 4.4

I couldn't find GSDML files for the drives, so I tried to make them, but ultimately I failed.
Is there any way I can find/create GSDML files for the drives based on the project I have?

Thank you all for the help.

2023_09_12_13_09_35_Step7_Sinamics_Starter.png

My thoughts..

Have you looked at the CF card on your CU ? (pull it out and use a card reader)
gsd should be there (if I remember correctly)

The PROFINET GSDML files are stored on the SINAMICS S120 Compact Flash Card under the following path:
..\SIEMENS\SINAMICS\DATA\CFG

Any reason your not updating the firmware on your S120 system?

Last edited:
My thoughts..

Have you looked at the CF card on your CU ? (pull it out and use a card reader)
gsd should be there (if I remember correctly)

The PROFINET GSDML files are stored on the SINAMICS S120 Compact Flash Card under the following path:
..\SIEMENS\SINAMICS\DATA\CFG

Any reason your not updating the firmware on your S120 system?

Hi JRW,
I don't have access to the real HW SINAMICS drive, I only have STEP 7 project.
Actually, I read that the real path of the original file is specified in the document pointed out by L D[AR2,P#0.0]

I need GSML file, because I'm preparing a virtual commissioning of the whole project, and only things that are available to me are offline PLC/STEP 7 projects.
I was hoping I would be able to find these GSML files on the internet or at least these original files, so I can generate GSDML file myself with the help of the script.

I even downloaded the files based on the information found in the attached file.

The files I have downloaded are on the following link,
but still the script even though ends with success produce xml file, which still
cannot be recognized by the software I use. This is because original GSD files are from firmware version v4.6 onwards.
What is confusing me here is this data about versions v2.25 and v2.34

2023_09_12_14_34_34_SINAMICS_S120_Firmware_Version_4.4_HF23_ID_48736528_Industry_Support_Siemen.jpg

Last edited: