Mitsubishi Serial Card Help

JDCROCKETT724

I have a mitsubishi serial card on a machine that I am trying to get to communicate to a pc from another company. Serial communication is sort of a black magic to me, and so I was hoping to take the current setup from another machine working with an identical pc, that is doing the same thing, and transfer it to my PLC. The problem I am having is I believe that the logic from the other machines was written with gx developer and I am working with gx works. Also, I cannot find any logic at all that pertains to the serial card, but an intelligent function module trace shows that it is communicating. Is this data hidden somewhere I am not looking? How can I extract it, or simply look at it to duplicate it? PLEASE HELP!!!!!

The serial card is a QJ71C24N on a q series PLC. From the swith setting from the example machine I have access to they are using the MC Protocol format 4. However, when I run the trace, I am seeing the following.

At first the card is simply receiving the repeating code, "ACK 0 0 F F"

After I trigger a separate input on the plc I first recieve "ACK 0 0 F F ENQ 0 0 F F B R A M 0 9 2 0 0 8 4 1 CR LF"
Followed by the following send information
"STX 0 0 F F 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 ETX 7 0 CR LF"
And this sequence repeats constantly back and forth

My understanding of this type of communication is very limited, but what I know needs to be transmitted is simply a "1" or "2" or "3". Why they have a serial card when they also have I/O to communicate something so simple is beyond me. I also beleive they are using some M registers to send the data. "[BCD D1000 K4M920]" is a line in their code. I have been stuck on this comm issue for too long, and is holding up my end game. I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Forgot to mention, I am trying to communicate to a PC with a custom made program written by the Japanese of the company I am working with. Originally I wasn't supposed to have to deal with this, but here I am.

First I must say that I have had no luck getting anything added to the Mitsubishi line of processors and I have A's, QnA's and FX's to deal with. What I do know is that if you don't have the exact manual for the type of Module you are trying to install that it is next to impossible to get done. Mitsubishi uses buffer areas in their processor as well as in their Modules that are used to exchange data between modules and PLC processors. The manual that applies your module will tell you where and how to set up the different buffer areas.

As sincerly lacking this info is that is all I got from the training class and their trainer couldn't make their stuff work either.