WonderWare to PLC5

Ker25

Hello Forum!! I am new to controls engineering so I often stop at this forum to learn from the wise ones. I am always impressed by the vast knowledge here. Anyway, I am trying to get WonderWare v7.11 to communicate to a PLC 5/40e through DH+. I get a solid green light on the PLC indicating that DH+ connection between the DataLink Card and PLC is ok. However, I am having problems getting Wonderware I/O server to recognize the DataLink(DL-PCI) card I am using. Currently, I am using SST5136-SD IO Server. I often get an error saying, “The server cannot communicate with the adapter card. Check (1) Memory base addreess...” when I try configuring the adapter card settings in SST5136-SD I/O server. Any help would be greatly appreciated…

I believe i might be using the wrong server. I am using a Datalink adapter(DL-PCI) and not SST. I will try another IO server and see if it works. I am curious if anyone has used this card before to talk to WonderWare.

Data-Link builds knockoff A-B network products, but I haven't heard about their PCI card before.

Their website says "alternative to 1784-PKTX and 5136-SD " but it doesn't say a thing about compatibility. I am distressed to see no user manual or support FAQ on their website for this card.

Did the DL-PCI come with a user manual ?

Have you tried Wonderware's 1784-PKTX driver ? Have you tried RSLinx Lite ?

Last edited:
It's a KF2 in PKTX clothing !

I think I figured this out !

Forget what you read on the website: The DL-PCI is nothing like the 1784-PKTX or 5136-SD except that it is a PCI card that interfaces with DH+. It operates totally differently.

What it is similar to is the 1770-KF2. It's a DF1 to DH+ converter.

What's different about it is that instead of connecting to your PC via an RS-232 serial port or a USB port, it uses a "16550 UART Emulator" to become a COM port on your computer !

I don't know if it does plug-and-play or not. Look in your Windows control panel under System / Ports and see if there's a COM port you don't recognize. It'll probably be between COM3 and COM7.

The Wonderware or RSLinx driver you'll need is the DF1 Full Duplex driver, configured for the COM port and the "1770-KF2/1785-KE" device type.

I got the basis for this post from the company that makes the module for Data-Link:

http://www.equustek.com/InterfaceCards/DLPCI.html

Thank You for the info Ken. I'll be sure to try that driver on Monday. The card actually installs in COM4. Thanks again!!

If it is a 5/40e why not use the ethernet port for communication. Then you could use the DAServer ABTCP driver. The DAServers are the new direction WW is taking with their slow movement to finally support OPC.

Dash, it is actually a PLC5/40C. I was wrong earlier. Ken, i was able to get WonderWare to communicate to the PLC after using the ABKF2 driver in WonderWare. I guess my only concern is whether or not there is a limit on the number of tags to a topic. I notice WonderWare takes longer to update the values in the plc if the Access Name has 100 or more tags. Thanks for all the help guys!!!