rj3 using ab rio

I know a great deal about CompactLogix and A-B Universal Remote I/O but I've never heard of an RJ3.

What is it ?

Probably Fanuc Robotics RJ3?

We have two of them (Fanuc robot RIO adapters) talking to SLCs via the 1746-SN, so I suspect that you should be able to follow a similar path to add the Fanuc RIO adapter as C-Logix I/O as you would do with other generic adapters...I've never used RIO with Logix, so I would have to let others fill in the details...

Well I am not sure if Clx offers scanner cards like the SLCs 1746-SN,I have been looking . and I think its device net or control net now?

I was going to use ethernet from clx to fanuc rj3 .
but the robot we purchased is not rj3ib or later .
so this option is not available now .

so i thought i would go back to the tried and true rio .
but now i am stumped ..

any help would be appreciated ..

I can do it still through descrete i/o.

But thats just to much wiring ? lol

Thanks for any suggestions ahead of time

Thanks; I don't work on Fanuc robots so I wasn't aware of that part number.

CompactLogix does not have a Scanner module for the A-B Universal Remote I/O network. The only Logix-family scanners for RIO are the 1756-DHRIO and the newer 1756-RIO.

If you absolutely had to use a CompactLogix to do this interface, your only choices would be to use an intermediate module: a 1756-ENBT and 1756-DHRIO in a chassis together, or a network gateway that can be a RIO scanner.

The only network gateway I know of that has the capability to be a RIO scanner is the AN-X from Quest Technical Solutions: http://qtsusa.com/ab.html

Hey thanks

Boy This has actually turned into a mess for me .

I have already quoted the compactlogix with a ethernet network
with panelview plus 1500
And then the Robot now I find cannot truly talk ethernet
as first indicated . It can speak ethernet globol data.

But I am not for sure about that protocol.I have never used that
and not for sure if compact can do that or not?

So any cheap suggestions are appreciated

Thanks everyone

Sorry, I don't have a cheap way out of your dilemma. The variety of Ethernet protocols used in automation (really, in any application) are certainly a pitfall even for veterans.

"Ethernet Global Data" is a GE protocol, so it makes sense that a Fanuc robot can use that protocol because GE and Fanuc were partner companies in North America until very recently.

The Rockwell Automation ControlLogix/CompactLogix controllers do not natively speak EGD. I think your only option is to use a bridge device or a Prosoft Technology module in the CompactLogix chassis, like the MVI69-EGD.

Ken roach

To clarify what I am speaking about .
Inside the Fanuc RJ3 controller there is a card that is AB RIO.
Basically this allows one to access all the I/O available
With the RJ3 . ITS like A mario Card .
It basically becomes a physical rack to the processor .

with plc 5 and slc 500 we used scanner modules / remote I/o cards for the processor . and then ran a blue hose between them.

so I am lost without this setup i think .

Ken

Thanks for the Idea

I should be able to use the clx which will have eth/ip
and then buy like a four slot rack with power supply and
1756 eth/ip and 1756-DHRIO and then to robot .

this should do it right ?

is that what you were thinking.

it sounds like maybe my answer .
I just hope its not going to hurt the pocket to much? lol

Prosoft

i'm going through the process right now. for a fanuc rio card to translate to compact logix you need the prosoft an-x2 ethernet bridge. so far it seems to be pretty easy. the price though is high. it was around $1800.