New Guy

SMOKE

So I Have my new guy. He did PLC some 7 years ago. He can't remember how to connect to a PLC, but he can program... well. A guy like him would be wanted by Peter or someone one alike. Writes c++ very well. Waisted here. Aerospace stuff. Creates needed software on demand. Things people will do to stay home.

So I Have my new guy. He did PLC some 7 years ago. He can't remember how to connect to a PLC, but he can program... well. A guy like him would be wanted by Peter or someone one alike. Writes c++ very well. Waisted here. Aerospace stuff. Creates needed software on demand. Things people will do to stay home.

What aerospace stuff did he do ?

"Creates needed software on demand."

I like that... now, I can finally tell people what I do for a living!

Oh, and I used to work in aerospace too... :eek:

What aerospace stuff did he do ?
Like Aries parachute data. Obama killed you too. ATK has been hit hard.
Some day in the future we will go to war with China and we will have to ask them to build tanks for us.
Someone needs to tell our government that we know that we can build stuff... so let us do it.

Last edited:
New guy update. We have gone through some programs and are on the same plane. Problem has come up though. We are putting lots of safety controllers at this time. So we (me and the new guy) are adding these devices, I tell him how things are wired and what to do and he ignores me. stares at the panel. Then later asks me questions that I already told him? Makes me think since he is an EE he dose not think he needs my input. Happens again he is on his own.

New guy update. We have gone through some programs and are on the same plane. Problem has come up though. We are putting lots of safety controllers at this time. So we (me and the new guy) are adding these devices, I tell him how things are wired and what to do and he ignores me. stares at the panel. Then later asks me questions that I already told him? Makes me think since he is an EE he dose not think he needs my input. Happens again he is on his own.
I think I know what is wrong.
It happens to everyone who has to listen to tech input for any period of time. It happens to you, to me, and to everyone. You just cannot be in "input-mode" for too long, before you have to digest the input. The human brain has a buffer that can be filled only to a certain level.
I know because I instruct and also do some courses in-house. You can spoonfeed people with technical stuff for max 30 minutes. Then you have to take a break, or let them try out for themselves for 30 minutes, or both before you proceed with lecturing them again.
Also think about how you make your lecturing or instructions "interesting".

"Happens again he is on his own". Yes, I think it is better to let him figure it all out by himself, only asking you if there is something he is unsure of. This is a much better way to learn something.

Jesper has a good point... also, maybe try and make sure the guy is in input mode at all when you're in output. If he's trying to understand the machine and the panel, he's not hearing anything you say about the changes that need to be made.

Yeah, annoying. Maybe tell him to check the machine out on his own first, or tell him that he can check the machine out on his own later but at this particular moment you need to tell him what changes need to be made and he needs to be focussed on that, not the overall machine or the entire existing panel.

I have to say, I am probably as bad... if you took me to a new machine, I would be trying to process the whole thing then I'd want to think about the changes needed after I had an idea of the whole machine. And, I'm really linear... I have to start at the beginning and work thru to the end. Not so good sometimes, helpful others.

So, I guess the point is, he may not be an arrogant engineer... he may just be an ordinary engineer. So, try and make sure he's listening to you and not still trying to process the whole machine.

Now, if he won't listen and then trys to tell you stuff that you know is wrong... ok, he's arrogant and you can let him sink in good conscience. But, if he just asks you something that you told him about an hour ago... and he listens to the answer and says "Thanks!" well, he may be normal. Give him some time to get up to speed on your plant and it might be ok!

In addition to the above comments, perhaps you can put it on paper for him (if it's not already), just give him a reference so that he can have something to "refill the buffer" with which is accurate and won't fall vicitim to imperfect memory, or CRS.

Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Or

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a broken fan belt and a flat tire.

Hey up.

Going back to what I wrote earlier...

You took this guy on. Am I to assume you interviewed and tested him to see if he achieved your requirements. Would you have done it a different way?

Everything I do starts off as a pile of ****. I move job and get myself down thinking 'what have I done?' until the newness wears off, I know what I'm doing and some comfort sets in. I, like Paul T, take in the view before concentrating on what I can see or make out in the detail. Work with the guy. Mentor him to some degree but don't wipe his a$$. I find I learn and perform better when I'm guided then left to fend for myself. The best thing is to communicate with the fella, find how he works/thinks/ticks. It can only get better. Good luck.

This has been some great advice. The latest install I gave him a paper with the needed info to set it up. Told him to figure it out from there. He came back finished way sooner than I thought he would.
Thanks for all the advice.