new guy confused by Panelview model numbers and firmware versions

Sparkyman1

Hey all!

I recently purchased myself a Panelview Plus off of ebay and i was hoping that i could upgrade the firmware on it to Version 9 or so and program it with FactoryTalk View studio V12, but that does not seem to be the case.

For reference the screen is a PanelView Plus 2711P-TC10C4B1 Ser A Rev B

and the logic module is 2711P-RPX Ser A rev B

Is it true that the max firmware revision for this panelview is V5.1

I cant seem to select a runtime version any lower that V6 with FTview Studio V12. This is a problem because the Panelview can only run V5.1 or older.

I want to buy a Panelview on ebay that i can upgrade to V9 or newer, how am i supposed to be able to identify one that can?

I remember reading a post on this forum that mentioned that
With each new release of FTV Studio Rockwell drops off an earlier runtime version.
So if you installed earlier version of FTV Studio it may support Your hardware.

Hey there.

What you have there is an original flavor Panelview Plus, which unfortunately cannot be upgraded past 5.1 as you discovered. When Rockwell hit firmware version 6, they released a new line 'Panelview Plus 6' which starts at firmware revision 6 and goes up from there.

Quite annoyingly, these new units are easily confused with the original ones for two reasons. First extremely similar part numbers, and second they kept the same bezel hardware -- the two lines are visually identical from the front.

To quickly identify a '6' model, look at the end of the part number. Where yours ends in B1, the newer line will end with A8, A9, D8, or D9, with the letter indicating AC or DC power requirement, and the number indicating whether the Windows operating system comes with extended features.

As a side note, Rockwell is now on the Panelview Plus 7, again having fairly minor changes to the model number format -- these will end in either 'S' for Standard or 'P' for Performance.

As FTView Studio has moved forward, Rockwell has slowly dropped support for older revisions. Version 11 is the last one that can create v5/5.1 files. You may be able to download an older version from Rockwell.

I appreciate the insight. I understand my circumstances now.

On another note, according to Rockwell's documents it seems that i may be able to slap a Panelview Plus 6 logic module on the back of this panel, but I'm slightly concerned that my display module might be a little special due to an infrared looking sensor thing on the face of it. Anybody recognize it? This is the eBay listing that i purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324741878355

You can tell the difference between a PV+ and a PV+6 by looking at the back. PV+ has CF card slot and is very square. PV+6 has SD card slot and cooling grills.
a2_b264d3eb-c56d-4faf-aaab-9ffc197a1598_grande.jpg
PV+6

Last edited:
Appreciate your help. I now know how to identify the two just by looking at them!

Rockwell could have saved many headaches by simply changing the PN to 2711P-6-XXXXX or something, maybe adding a 6 to the logic module or the face of the display? why why why.

I appreciate the insight. I understand my circumstances now.

On another note, according to Rockwell's documents it seems that i may be able to slap a Panelview Plus 6 logic module on the back of this panel, but I'm slightly concerned that my display module might be a little special due to an infrared looking sensor thing on the face of it. Anybody recognize it? This is the eBay listing that i purchased.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324741878355

That's an IrDA (infrared data) port. Looking at the user manual suggests they were originally standard, but at some point early on Rockwell apparently stopped putting them on (I'd guess because no-one used them).

No clue whether that would affect the ability to plug in a PVPlus 6 logic module. I'd guess it wouldn't cause any problems, but have no evidence to support my guess. Maybe someone else can say with more certainty.

EDIT: fwiw, the part numbers for the original display modules (presumably with the IrDA port) and the display modules as of a '6' (with no IrDA port) are identical, suggesting Rockwell considers them interchangeable.

Last edited: