PLC 5/40E with Ethernet Flex I/O?

eleall

Can i do that??
I have been searching but i just found that i can do that but with a RIO Flex IO using the 1794-ASB.
Is there a way to make the communication using the 1794-AENT?

What's the reason that you don't use the RIO option?
It's so easy and quick to use.
If you realy want to have ethernet for remote IO, you have to add a "master" on the ethernet. Here in the factory we use a CompactLogix PLC as Ethernet Master in combination with a PLC5/40E like you have.

Regards

Jack

The designer sent me the architecture using a PLC-5 with ethernet Flex IO and i had doubt about if is supported and your answers confirmed that. Now i sent the mistake to the designer and now he has to see what is he going to do, if use a CompactLogix master or maybe the Rio module. I rather the master architecture with the CompactLogix, the rio communication is kind of old.

The designer sent me the architecture using a PLC-5 with ethernet Flex IO and i had doubt about if is supported and your answers confirmed that. Now i sent the mistake to the designer and now he has to see what is he going to do, if use a CompactLogix master or maybe the Rio module. I rather the master architecture with the CompactLogix, the rio communication is kind of old.

The RIO option is old, but very easy, and very quick.
I would have a RIO scanner on the CompactLogix, but this is only an option for ControlLogix.
Now I've to work around the **** of IPadresses and MSG instructions.:confused:

My choice would be RIO...

Goodluck

I dont know if he is going to choose RIO because the distances between the Flex IO and the PLC (a little bit long, dont know exactly the distances between them :S), also, does'nt the PLC-5 CPU need something additional like a connector or something to be used with the RIO??

What is the reason for this project?

I ask because you may be better served with other options that we could help you with.

I dont know if he is going to choose RIO because the distances between the Flex IO and the PLC (a little bit long, dont know exactly the distances between them :S), also, does'nt the PLC-5 CPU need something additional like a connector or something to be used with the RIO??

Distance shouldn't be a problem, RIO is good for considerably longer distance than standard Ethernet. The 5/40E should have Channels that can be used for RIO etc. It is a 3 Pin Connector, and should be on the front of the CPU.

Stu.....

Stu's right on: RIO can run 10,000 feet at 57.6 kb/s and 2,500 feet at 230.4 kb/s.

The PLC-5/40E has a daughtercard with one DH+ and one RIO port, plus Channel 0 for serial and Channel 2 for Ethernet.

The other alternative for I/O and peer-to-peer communications with PLC-5 controllers is ControlNet (the PLC-5C15 versions).

But the PLC-5 definitely, positively, certainly does not support I/O on Ethernet.