Protocol Converter - BACnet to Ethernet IP

BobB

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am in need of a protocol converter from BACnet to Ethernet IP and vice versa.
The Ethernet IP end will be an Omron PLC (probably CJ2M) and the BACnet end a series of power monitors.
It appears www.fieldserver.com may be able to help and I have sent them an email.
Anyone have any experience with this conversion at all?
Brand and model of device?
Successful/unsuccessful?
Any assistance appreciated.

I am in need of a protocol converter from BACnet to Ethernet IP and vice versa.
The Ethernet IP end will be an Omron PLC (probably CJ2M) and the BACnet end a series of power monitors.
It appears www.fieldserver.com may be able to help and I have sent them an email.
Anyone have any experience with this conversion at all?
Brand and model of device?
Successful/unsuccessful?
Any assistance appreciated.

What meters are they and how many ?

Hooeys right, RL do bacnet drivers in the DSP's (Check with RL that the meter is supported, youll need to know what sort of bacnet protocol). Whatever info you want you could just do a gateway block in the DSP to read write data between the meters on bacnet and your omron on ethernet. Very easy to set up and use.

I have seen these in the field but never used them

http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/460/etcbs.html

Last edited:
I have never used BacNet so I have no first hand accounts for you. I would recommend RedLion, Real Time Automation, & www.ICCdesigns.com . I have used devices from all 3 the support each one of them couldn't be better.
The advantage Redlion has over the rest is you can use the HMI and do protocol conversion.

Dave,
Thanks for the plug. The 460ETCBS is a great solution for any of the Allen-Bradley plc's, but for Bob, he is using an Omron plc. The solution for his application would be the 460ESBS.

The 460ETCBS makes a direct connection to the tags or registers of the PLC (this is NOT an EtherNet/IP connection). This is exclusively for Allen-Bradley PLC’s.

The 460ESBS will look like an EtherNet/IP adapter/Server/Slave to any EtherNet/IP Scanner/Client/Master device (like the Omron). It then presents that data to a BAS as a BACnet/IP server.

http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/460/esbs.html

Dave,
Thanks for the plug. The 460ETCBS is a great solution for any of the Allen-Bradley plc's, but for Bob, he is using an Omron plc. The solution for his application would be the 460ESBS.

The 460ETCBS makes a direct connection to the tags or registers of the PLC (this is NOT an EtherNet/IP connection). This is exclusively for Allen-Bradley PLC’s.

The 460ESBS will look like an EtherNet/IP adapter/Server/Slave to any EtherNet/IP Scanner/Client/Master device (like the Omron). It then presents that data to a BAS as a BACnet/IP server.

http://www.rtaautomation.com/products/460/esbs.html

I did say i had seen them in the field, i should have added with AB PLC's !!

Thanks for clearing that up 👨🏻‍🏫

Thanks for the info.
Have had a look at the RTA product and Red Lion as well.
I have used BACnet OPC successfully into Citect SCADA before. Not without problems as it was about 10 years ago and hardware and OPC clients were pretty raw then. The available products have matured considerably since then.
Have had a reply from Fieldserver and it appears I have to find out a lot more information about the power monitor devices. I had already asked for this but have not yet had a reply from the client.
At this stage, I still do not know which flavour of BACnet I will have to deal with. I have only ever used the BACnet over Ethernet flavour but there are several types in use including serial.
From the Omron end Ethernet IP is my best bet for sure. The Ethernet IP setup is so simple it is not funny, particularly when networking PLCs. It is the easiest I have seen by far at this point of time.
Until I find out the details on the meters, how many, how many points etc from the client I really cannot investigate further.
The RTA device has a points limitation or you buy more points. Not sure about fieldserver or Red Lion with respect to point numbers but do not yet know what I need. I tend to prefer the web browser set up if possible and do not really like the Red Lion software but that could be because I use it infrequently and have not fully investigated it. I just find it a bit 'clunky'.
I notice Fieldserver have configuration software and 2 Ethernet ports are available also as well as multiple serial ports.
RTA Automation have a web browser set up which I generally find easier and quicker (never have enough time). The RTA device also has 1 Ethernet port only (similar to Red Lion) and multiple serial ports.
Red Lion has Crimson which, as I mentioned above, I find a bit 'clunky'.
It is funny what you find you like. I normally use Omron NS screens with Omron PLCs and find their screen software 'clunky' as well but the huge advantage is a simulator that works live with an Omron PLC simulator. I cannot get that with any other screen and that is why I have not delved deeper into Red Lion screens. The simulator to me is a tremendous advantage and saves me lots of time onsite.
I will find out more about the meters when the client informs me what is to be used and then do some more investigation and come back and let you know where I am.
The really good thing is it appears that it can be done fairly easily.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
If the 460 family is as easy to setup as the 435 are. Go that route. I have done several of the 435s and they are great. ASCII to PLC5, MLC, SLC, or Logix family over Ethernet in 15 minutes top. I won't look at a ASCII application without one of these.

I like the RedLion they are second on my list. If you need an HMI I would look HARD at these. Have you looked at the Crimson 3 software yet? I like it over the 2, but I never gave 2 a good run.

ICC designs has several adapters as well.

Ruddy customer has decided to go Modbus RTU!!!
Sorry to have wasted your time.