Help, Help - SLC 5/04

farrier

i bought a new cable a 1747-CP3 from AB. i get a message when i connect to the correct port. unable to verify settings due to packet timeout. we configured the device to SLC-CHO. any ideas please as we are in need of help urgently regards :unsure::unsure::unsure:

What driver are you using in RSLinx?
Do you know how your SLC5/04's serial port is set-up? ( DF1,DH485 or ASCII
protocol).
Do you have the offline program for your SLC5/04 to check is port configuration?
Does your PC/Laptop have a real serial port or are you using a USB to serial adapter?

thanks Mickey,

the driver is RS-232 DF1

i think but not sure but maybe DH485
not sure about the off line program
using a USB to serial port adapter.

regards

Kevin

If your processors port is configured for DH485 a USB to serial adapter will not work.
You will need a 1747-UIC ( USB to DH485 converter)

What makes you think the port is configured for DH485? Was there anything connected to it ( HMI or on a network)

Is your SLC5/04 running a real process or is this just for learning?

The offline program will tell you, if you have it post it here ( zip it first) and someone can take a look.

Last edited:
Dear Mickey, i am unsure but i had someone over from the USA and he used a DH+ cable and got into the system. as you can see i am no expert but the tech guys are wanting me to get into the system as we may have a BIT problem as we have a drop out on the machine

thanks again your help is appreciated

Dear Mickey, no sorry we do not have one here and will take sometime to get one here in Egypt, AB recomended this cable. thanks again kevin

Have you tried autoconfigure in RSLinx with the DF1 driver?

If you have a PC or laptop with a real serial port with the software on it to use then you could try the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver with you 1747-CP3 cable to get connected to a port configured for DH485.

If the port is configured for ASCII then its a no-go.

You mighty try calling your local AB representative.

Dear Mickey

the AB reps are in Dubai, will try this now and let you know? can not see the driver on this system

Remember that you must set your RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver for the correct COM port.

Many USB/RS232 converters are "enumerated" as COM3 or COM4 or maybe a higher number, whereas most built-in serial ports are enumerated as "COM1".

The only way to be certain which COM port your USB/RS232 converter is using is to check the Windows Control Panel; select System, then Devices, then the "Ports (COM and LPT)".

What exact model of USB/RS232 converter are you using ?