Help going online with SLC 5/04

chrisg408

Hello Everyone,

I'm a pretty green PLC tech and I need help logging on to some SLC 5/04 PLCs.
I have a 1747-UIC and 1747-CP3 cables and I'm using RS-232 DF-1 Devices Drivers on RS Linx Classic. I'm trying to use the auto-configurate, but RS Linx will not find the PLC. I also tried DH485 UIC Devices drivers and that didn't work either. I've used these methods in the past and didn't have much trouble going online with SLC PLCs.

I have the back up programs for these PLC, so I have access to Channel Configuration settings.
Com setting CP5.PNG

Com setting CP5 1.PNG

Com setting CP5 2.PNG

Com setting CP5 3.PNG

Com setting CP8.PNG

I have more image to upload, but I only get 5.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

The 5/04 has two communication ports. The D shaped 9 pin is a serial port RS232 and can be configured several different ways. The round port and the 3 pin connector are the DH+ port.

In order to use the DH+ port, you would need a DH+ communication adapter or some sort of way to bridge to it. The most common for simple use with a modern laptop is the 1784-U2DHP. These are very expensive.

The 1747-UIC is useful for connecting to Allen Bradley hardware that uses DH485 which is a serial protocol that can use RS485 electrical spec or RS232, so it won't work with the 9 pin port unless that port is already configured for DH485 protocol.

You need a generic USB to RS232 adapter (or a real serial port if you have an ancient or specialized laptop with one) and the 1747-CP3 cable you already have in order to connect to the 9 pin port with DF1 Full Duplex protocol.

Note that some USB to serial adapters do not play nicely with RSLinx DF1 Autoconfigure.

I carry 3 different USB to serial adapters of different types because I deal with a lot of odd serial devices and I have a favorite that works with every device I have run across except one. This adapter does work well with RSLinx DF1 autoconfigure.

https://www.plccable.com/usb-to-rs232-plc-programming-cable-special-plctalk-net/

When using a USB to RS232 adapter, you will need to ensure that its drivers properly load in Windows and that you know the COM number Windows Device Manager assigns to it. I like to force the COM number to COM1 to make life simpler for all the different software tools I have to work with.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said I'm really green so any info is a big help.

So, the short answer is that I don't have the right cables???

I think that all my PLCs are talking to each other on a DH+ Network, I have the IP address and can see the RS Linx server on RS Linx is there any way to get online with the PLCs that way?

Thanks Paul!

chrisg408 said:

Correct, it looks like your DB9 is setup for ASCII and you dont have the correct cable for the DH+, we sell an aftermarket but its still not cheap

chrisg408 said:
I think that all my PLCs are talking to each other on a DH+ Network, I have the IP address and can see the RS Linx server on RS Linx is there any way to get online with the PLCs that way?

You can use Ethernet IP if you have a Gateway on the DH+ network that converts DH+ to Ethernet, then yes you can can connect and see all the PLC's on the DH+ network

it looks like your DB9 is setup for ASCII

I overlooked the fact that the CH0 select dropdown is set to USER according to the screenshot. Good catch!

So you still should buy one of Mark's USB to RS232 adapters, because you find it very useful for other things, but it won't do any good for this case.

You can use Ethernet IP if you have a Gateway on the DH+ network that converts DH+ to Ethernet, then yes you can can connect and see all the PLC's on the DH+ network

This can be tricky depending on the details of the bridge that is being used. A screenshot of RSLinx with the nodes expanded as well as some details about the bridge hardware would be useful.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Like I said I'm really green so any info is a big help.

So it depends on which picture you look at. The first Picture is CH0 set for System. Cable is correct
The Second Picture is CH0 set for user (ASCII). Wrong protocol to go online with.
Did you setup the 232 RSLinx driver to the correct Com Port of the USB to Serial adaptor. Device Manger under ports you should see your adaptor comm port number.

So it depends on which picture you look at. The first Picture is CH0 set for System. Cable is correct
The Second Picture is CH0 set for user (ASCII). Wrong protocol to go online with.
Did you setup the 232 RSLinx driver to the correct Com Port of the USB to Serial adaptor. Device Manger under ports you should see your adaptor comm port number.

I did use the correct com port.
I used the following settings to connect to the PLC in the attached.
RS Linx.PNG
Com setting CP5.PNG

Did you get connected? If not have you tried changing the Device: to SLC-CH0/Micro/PanelView? (the top picture)

Look at the Last Picture in the Original Post. CH0 mode is User. Which in this case is ASCII
The First Picture in the Original Post is CH0 mode set to System.
Which one is Correct??

There are two different PLCs

If the serial port is actually configured for ASCII, you will not be able to go online via that port. You'll need to pursue using the existing DH+ to ethernet bridge or adding one.

For us to help, please pick one of the SLCs in question and give as much detail as possible about the hardware involved, share screenshots and full PLC program files if possible. A/B communications is something that many on this forum have a lot of extensive experience with and can be at times quite complicated to walk through with someone new to the field.

I think we can help you, but not without very specific and unambiguous details.

The CH0 port in the PLC called CP5 is set to System - DF1 full duplex. You should be able to get online with it by a serial cable and the connection parameters in the offline program.

The CH0 port in the PLC called CP8 is set to User - ASCII. You wont be able to go online with it by the CH0 port.

Last edited:
If the serial port is actually configured for ASCII, you will not be able to go online via that port. You'll need to pursue using the existing DH+ to ethernet bridge or adding one.

For us to help, please pick one of the SLCs in question and give as much detail as possible about the hardware involved, share screenshots and full PLC program files if possible. A/B communications is something that many on this forum have a lot of extensive experience with and can be at times quite complicated to walk through with someone new to the field.

I think we can help you, but not without very specific and unambiguous details.

Lets focus on CP5 Here's all the setting on channel configuration

Com setting CP5.PNG

Com setting CP5 1.PNG

Com setting CP5 2.PNG

Com setting CP5 3.PNG

and Here's how I've been trying to go online with it in RS Linx, I tried changing the device from to SLC ch0 with no luck

RS Linx.PNG

Thanks everyone for the help I really appreciate it, sorry for being kinda spotty with replies. Trying to accomplish this while staying on top of the tasks and jobs I get from management.