Help with going online [Siemens cpu 555]

HJTRBO

Hi all,

Before I start I have tried searching, but unfortunately I am not coming up with anything useful...

... And I also feel a little shy about asking this as I have learnt so much about programming S7, but I am now realising that the "degree in one weekend" approach will require more like 6 months...

Formerly bit bashing of Mitsubishi / Omron, I'm now the new sole Sparky at a plant full of Siemens so this situation becomes a welcome learning curve.

Question 1)
We have a 3 layer blown film extruder with a CPU 555 (interfacing with an industrial PC) at address 0 (according to the schematics) and then around 20 profibus nodes originating from this CPU. I attempted to plug into the profibus network and I changed my address of my PG to an unused address but no luck displaying accessible nodes. Is this because the CPU 555 already holds the master address of 0?

Question 2)
I have S5 for windows and a TTY cable but I cannot establish a connection with a S5 100 CPU. The CPU has no EPROM or I/O attached to it. I just figured I could plug it in and start getting used to S5. Any ideas on why I can't go online? I did find some search information on this question and the replies indicated that there should be no trouble. So I figured it's either my comm settings (which I will eventually work out myself) or the lack hardware attached to the CPU. Please advise?

I have configured and programmed simple S7 300's and imported GSD files into the hardware manager as well as creating a virtual profibus network (for VIPA) so my knowledge is slightly above zero.

Step 7 V5.4 SP1
IBH S5 / S7 for Windows Version 5.03
MPI - RS232 cable
TTY - RS232 cable

I greatly appreciate any help / guidance you can offer.

Question 1)
We have a 3 layer blown film extruder with a CPU 555 (interfacing with an industrial PC) at address 0 (according to the schematics) and then around 20 profibus nodes originating from this CPU. I attempted to plug into the profibus network and I changed my address of my PG to an unused address but no luck displaying accessible nodes. Is this because the CPU 555 already holds the master address of 0?

I think you need S5 to access this CPU and you cant use the ordinary S5 TTY cable and you cant jack in to the profibus.
We have one so i can check how to wire the cable if you need help with that.

Question 2)
I have S5 for windows and a TTY cable but I cannot establish a connection with a S5 100 CPU. The CPU has no EPROM or I/O attached to it. I just figured I could plug it in and start getting used to S5. Any ideas on why I can't go online? I did find some search information on this question and the replies indicated that there should be no trouble. So I figured it's either my comm settings (which I will eventually work out myself) or the lack hardware attached to the CPU. Please advise?

The only thing you need is the CPU powered, neither EPROM or IO will have any affect on this.
Im not familiar with IBH's software so i cant help you with the configuration.
If you can get a hold of for a reasonable price, i would recomend you get siemens step 5.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Q1) I have no need to directly access the 555 just yet. The rest of the machine is S7-400 (which I will need to access) and Simovert and Simoreg drives.

...add... just had a read up in the comms section of "Step 7 in 7 Steps" (Awesome book). So I need a CP5711 or TCP/IP - DP from IBH. Damn, I think i've already blown the budget for the next two months already!

Q2) Great, thats what I wanted to hear. I'll be sure to spend more time probing the software when I get some down time.

Last edited:
I think that the 555 processor is actually a Texas instruments PLC for which you need TISOFT for the PLC and Com Profibus for the Profibus.

If you have Step7 Installed and Drives ES you can access the S7 PLC and the drives over the profibus network. If you don't have DrivesES then you can use DriveMonitor to communicate with the drives via the serial connection. DriveMonitor is free.

As you're working on Bubble film lines in Melbourne would that be Innovia Films, formerly UCB, formerly ICI?

Nick

No, Aperio group. The 555 is Siemens branded.

I now have to toss up between my hydraulic cable shears or a Net card... Damn monthly capital spending constraints!

I've got enough information to move forward now. I'll post back when I have some trouble executing the required steps.

Thanks all for your attention.

HJTRBO

Siemens CPU 555 (serial no. on bottom of the face of the cpu will read 555-1106 or similiar) is programmed with Tisoft. They were originally texas instruments and taken over by siemens. The tisoft software and null modem cable are required to go online.

The only thing you need is the CPU powered, neither EPROM or IO will have any affect on this.
Im not familiar with IBH's software so i cant help you with the configuration.
If you can get a hold of for a reasonable price, i would recomend you get siemens step 5.

I re-installed S5 for windows and I went online without any trouble. Prehaps I had an incorrect setting.