Need help going online with Compactlogix

sparkytex

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've never used RSLogix5000 before and I have to go online with a compactlogix L35E processor. We just received a new water chiller for our plant and it came with a compactlogix PLC which needs to be used for one analog input, 2 discrete inputs and 2 discrete outputs for control of a 3 way valve/motor and pump/position of valve/temp of water. do I use the ethernet port on the plc to establish a rslinx connection using the Ethernet IP driver configuration? I tried this and cannot get the PLC to communicate. I started a new project on rslogix500 and choose the correspoing PLC and for revision note I chose 15(which I don't know what that is). I would like to get online with this thing to start the programming. should I be using a rs232 connection to establish a connection? please help!! THANKS!!, brian

First, you need RSLogix 5000, not 500. Also, when you open the offline file it will let you know which revision it is. Always get the offline file from the vendor so you have description to help you navigate the program.

Getting the offline file will also let you read the IP address and you will need to setup your PCs IP so it's in the same subnet.

OK, take a deep breath and a step back.

If the control system didn't come with any documentation that tells you what the IP address of the controller is, I would start with an RS-232 serial connection.

Once you are able to 'browse' the controller using the RSWho function in RSLinx Classic software, you will be able to right-click the icon for the CompactLogix controller itself and select 'Device Properties', which will show you the Firmware Revision of the CompactLogix.

You will also be right-click on the Ethernet daughtercard of the CompactLogix and select 'Module Configuration', which will let you see the existing Ethernet configuration or set one up yourself.

Did this chiller come with no program or operational information at all ?

You definitely don't need to just 'go online and start programming'. You need to write up a sequence of operations and a program outline and get an I/O list firmed up before you start writing code.

no this did not come with any program what so ever, This is a new PLC. basically the guys that sent the chiller gave us the parameters of operations, i.e. what temperature opens the valve and what closes the valve and turns the pump motor on. theres basically a pump which needs a discrete out, a three way valve that needs a discrete out and 2 discrete inputs for valve position indication and an analog in for temperature control. I'm currently trying to find a 1756-cp3 serial cable ( 9 pin male to 15 pin female ). which im having trouble finding. theres a 9 pin cable adapted to a usb cord, I don't know if that's possible to set up a connection with that, if not I don't know why its in the laptop case.

Last edited:
I figured out how to connect to the controller Via USB, I just had to find out the comm port number of the USB on device manager. I managed to configure the analog input card and discrete input and outputs cards on rslogix5000 thanks to Rockwell automations PDF files. just have to read through RSLogix500 manual and learn how to use their programming guide. a lot different then rslgox5, hard to find the available addresses of both the discrete's and the analog.