Need help with going online.

dragonball

I have issue with going online with Studio 5000.

I tried to open the communication path, but I get this message in Who Active

I can't do anything because the buttons are grayed out.
Please tell me how to solve this issue because I looked up anywhere but I cannot find solution.

readonly.JPG

Hello Dragonball,
I am no expert but I have always used RSLinx classic to connect to an Allen Bradley PLC.
If "FactoryTalk Linx" is the new Studio 5000 replacement for RSLinx Classic (RSLinx Enterprise is for connecting to Panelview Plus HMI's), then if your Processor (CompactLogix or ControlLogix) has an IP address you may find it listed under "Ethernet.AB_ETHIP-1" otherwise you may need to configure one of the other ethernet drivers with the IP Address of your PLC. Alternatively if possible, connect to the processor via USB.
I hope this helps.
Woolie

I’ll try to help you out
A few thing to check
First as a reminder that with all Rockwell PLC’s you need RSlinx to communicate with your PC
While most people run RSLynx as a service when the PC boots up I have found that doesn’t always happen correctly, so I run it as a separate APP and Start / Stop it as needed it also saves computer resources when you don’t need it. You should use the RSLinx Start Panel for this that’s what it’s provided for. If you are connecting with a USB or other device install and configure the device before you run RSLinx then configure RSLinx as needed for that device. If your computer doesn’t see the device then RSLinx will not see it either. Identify the COM port the computer assigns to the device or change if you need to (Computer Manager)
Understand that Ethernet devices Drive needs to have predefined IP address to find the PLC so you need to install the address in the list.
EthernetIP will scan all addresses on the local network and display them in the tree
It can also scan any remote subnet if you set it up to do so.
Also older versions of RSlinx may not identify the newer PLC ‘s or other devices so it is important to always keep Your versions of RSLinx up to date.
If you don’t see or can’t identify the device in RSLinx then you will not be able to connect to it.
I know that seems like a lot but I have but I have been on jobs where guys have spent the first hour or more trying to connect before they realized that they had the wrong driver running or the or the wrong COM port assigned.

I’ll try to help you out
A few thing to check
First as a reminder that with all Rockwell PLC’s you need RSlinx to communicate with your PC
While most people run RSLynx as a service when the PC boots up I have found that doesn’t always happen correctly, so I run it as a separate APP and Start / Stop it as needed it also saves computer resources when you don’t need it. You should use the RSLinx Start Panel for this that’s what it’s provided for. If you are connecting with a USB or other device install and configure the device before you run RSLinx then configure RSLinx as needed for that device. If your computer doesn’t see the device then RSLinx will not see it either. Identify the COM port the computer assigns to the device or change if you need to (Computer Manager)
Understand that Ethernet devices Drive needs to have predefined IP address to find the PLC so you need to install the address in the list.
EthernetIP will scan all addresses on the local network and display them in the tree
It can also scan any remote subnet if you set it up to do so.
Also older versions of RSlinx may not identify the newer PLC ‘s or other devices so it is important to always keep Your versions of RSLinx up to date.
If you don’t see or can’t identify the device in RSLinx then you will not be able to connect to it.
I know that seems like a lot but I have but I have been on jobs where guys have spent the first hour or more trying to connect before they realized that they had the wrong driver running or the or the wrong COM port assigned.
Thank you.

so what exactly do I need to download?

is that something to do with read only mode?

Hi,
few questions?
do you have your RsLinx driver setup?, if you do are you on the same IP range?
can you ping your PLC controller?

Hi,
few questions?
do you have your RsLinx driver setup?, if you do are you on the same IP range?
can you ping your PLC controller?
sorry, I have no idea what you are asking about.
I don't think RsLinx driver is set up,
how do I ping the PLC controller?

I downloaded for the homework, so I am new to this

Last edited:
A few more details are needed then we can help, what is the PLC and what port are you going to use? example if you are using a 1769-L16ER-BB1B and using a USB A-B cable or you are using the Ethernet port... or you have a 1756-Lxxxx and you are using a USB to CP3 adapter and connecting via the serial port, bla bla bla

I have made a few videos that may help here https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

But if we have more details we can tell you exactly

can I get direct help with zoom or discord?
I am new to this and I have no idea what you are asking for.

I am using the Emulate 5570 Studio 5000 Logix Emulate Controller

if that answers the question. I am not sure cuz I cannot connect to anything

A few more details are needed then we can help, what is the PLC and what port are you going to use? example if you are using a 1769-L16ER-BB1B and using a USB A-B cable or you are using the Ethernet port... or you have a 1756-Lxxxx and you are using a USB to CP3 adapter and connecting via the serial port, bla bla bla

I have made a few videos that may help here https://www.plccable.com/support-videos-compatibility/

But if we have more details we can tell you exactly

I thought... you were connecting to a real PLC not the emulator, try watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnSVLOc6to

There are also other ones on Youtube

Does this has anything to do with READ ONLY issue?

No idea... I have never used the emulator but watch the video it should help, I have real PLC's that I connect to and play with, I dont think the emulator is the same setup