Saving A Program Using SFW50 Software

carolinareaper

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone tell me the correct steps to save the Ladder Program of a Model 50 PLC using SFW50 Programming Software?

I had to purchase it because of one of our plants has this system operating a Hivac pickup system.

I have read the manual several times but want to make sure I don't do something stupid and loose the running program.

The software is kind of hard to use being a DOS program and I have been using windows based for years.

Any help is appreciated.

This is not a specific answer to your question but may provide some help. WindLDR software by IDEC can be used to program the SFW50. You will need to select FA-2J type PLC under the Configure tab. It is Windows based. It does work but you will need to read the IDEC WindLDR manual because the addressing numbers may be different from the SFW50 numbers.

Try using the Advanced Search feature at the top of this page. A search for SFW50 on this website will turn up lots of useful information.

I am including some old notes I found for printing with the SFW50 software. Use at your own risk, different parts of it may not apply to your particular problem.

Using SFW50 software:
Use Windows 98 SE (Second Edition)
On C: drive make New Folder, rename SFW50, unzip file to folder SFW50.
Using Windows Explorer: In SFW50 folder, find file Sfw50.exe, right click. In box left click Create shortcut. Drag shortcut to Desktop.
Close Windows Explorer.
On Desktop, right click on Shortcut to Sfw50. Left click on Properties,
Program tab, Advanced Button, check Suggest MS-DOS mode as necessary, click OK. Click OK again to go back to Desktop.
On Desktop, double click on Shortcut to Sfw50.exe. Program now opens.
Move mouse out of the way, it doesn't work within this environment.
Keystrokes to get to print Ladder:
F3 F3 enter password (here's the password, doesn't need capitals or quotes) "program" ,press Enter.
To load program:
F2 (offline) F5 (disk) F5 (directory) F6 and/or F9 to higlight program name that has the .P50 extension (jcorpt29.P50), Esc (1 time) F1 (load) F1 (program) F10 (load) Esc (2 times)
To add labels and comments skip to next paragraph if no labels file).
F5 (disk) F5 (directory) F6 or F9 to higlight program name that has the .L50 extension (jcorpt26.L50) , Esc (1 time) F1 (load) F3 (labels) F10 (load) Esc (2 times)
F1 (ladder) F1 (search) F2 ( -( )- ) (Make sure printer is connected to computer and turned on) F8 (print) F4 to YES f5 to YES F7 to YES (if labels file is loaded) (when ready press) F8 (print).
After printing is done, Esc to previous menus.
To close program down Esc 4 times (from print menu to first menu) F5 Y

ONLINE Setup:
From the first opening menu, F4 (util), set route to 000, Port to whatever Com Port your computer is using Com1 or Com2, baud rate might be anything, try 1200 or 9600 first, Auxiliary to DOS.
PRINTER settings:
Set route to none,port to PRN, config to 7 bit odd, character to ASCII, margin to 4, length to 70. press F10 (load).
GETTING ONLINE:
To MONITOR only:From the first opening menu, F3 F1.
To PROGRAM:
From the first opening menu, F3 F3 enter password (here's the password, doesn't need capitals or quotes) "program" ,press Enter.
NEXT:
From the first opening menu, F1 (online) If setup and baud rate are correct it should go online after a period of time. If Communication error timeout occurs, change the baud rate and try again. This is a slow process so be patient and wait until timeout error occurs before changing the baudrate and re-trying.

DONE

Last edited:
Thanks for the information I will be printing the ladder once I have it saved to my hard drive. You wouldn't happen to have a copy of the WindLDR software would you?

Here is a link to download the WindLDR demo software. I dont know if it is capable of saving a program or not. It's worth a try.
http://us.idec.com/Catalog/ProductSeries.aspx?SeriesName=WindLDR&FamilyName=Software

Here is a partial list of info for saving a program. I found this info, I dont have a PLC to test it to know if it is accurate.

Click on sfw50.exe program, then move mouse out of the way since this is a DOS program.
F3, (SECURE), Enter
F3 (PROGRAM), Enter
type "program" (without the quotes), Enter
F2, (OFFLN), F7, (TRANSF), F1 (CPU), F10, (ENTER)
No plc to test so proceed with caution!!

Heres a link to the SFW50 software users manual, see Section 1.4 and Section 8.
http://www.schneider-electric.us/su...ail&oid=09008926801077be&cat=0b0089268010fe83

Last edited: