Flex I/O remotely with Control Logix5000

icehube

Hello everyone and thanks for your time. My company has a remote control room they are installing.My question is cani install a flex i/o module there and run it to the nearest control logix rack? The entire building has about 25 different processors all using control net. Or would it be just easier to just install a micrologix in this control room. I have never set up a system over a network such as this and was wondering. Thanks.

Yes, this is possible,BUT....
What do you want to control in the control-room?
Is it only a few bulbs and switches, or SCADA?
I would go for a touch panel.

It will just be a light bulbs and push buttons to start and stop conveyors. Not to sound dumb but what is SCADA?

Are all your rack on one network? If yes you can go to the nearest rack. If it isn't, you have to go to the rack which you like to control.

Every processor on your network can "look" at your flex IO unit,so that should be no problem.
Be carefull with writing to your output addresses don't use duplicated adresses in the different CPU's for these Flex IO modules.

So you think this would be a good way to go, would it be cheaper to go with anything different like a micrologix, or is this what you recommend?

As far as I know is there no Micrologix which can "talk" Controlnet, I've search on the site of A-B but could find one. So the Flex IO is the way to go in my opinion.
How many IO do you need?
A full Flex IO rack has 8 x 16 digital IO points.

How much ControlNet have you done? You have to be able to "schedule" the network, which requires RSNetworks for ControlNet, if you don't have this software you'll need to account for the cost of that as well. Don't forget the training too.

I "suppose" he could have it too, but since he stated he has never used controlnet I figured it at least should be mentioned that he needs to account for another piece of the puzzle for this to work.

So you think this would be a good way to go, would it be cheaper to go with anything different like a micrologix, or is this what you recommend?
It would depend on the cost, and whether you need enterprise monitoring.
If you were going to go for a uLogix and program it to work stand-alone for a low i/o count you could potentially save a lot of headaches/time/money.

Yes we do have rsnetworkx for controlnet. I have scheduled our network before and am somewhat familar with it. But then again that was due to someone else using the exact same ip's at a different location. So when this rack is installed i must schedule it then?