Need advice from seasoned Siemens programmers... Please.

Hello,

I just got a job as a Junior PLC programmer. This company uses only Siemens. At first I was sent to a US facility where I set up a test bench using (1) CPU 315-2DP and (2) Wago 750 Input and output Profibus Modules (343, 600, 430, 530, 602). I was able to pick up S7 fast as I have some PLC experience. However, my knowledge of programming is not enough to contribute as much as I want. Now that I am back in Canada I no longer have a test bench to practice with and I need some advice from seasoned programmers as to what Siemens components to use in a new test bench.
I need to learn how to:
1. Handle serial communications (EX: SICK Scanners).
2. Set up Ethernet (Ethernet to send information to servers which I.T uses)
3. Profibus – I would rather use profibus for input and output cards instead of I/O cards physically attached to the CPU (the company has lots of remote control panels and uses profibus extensively)
4. The CPU must be a 300 series
5 I have been using a CP5512 to communicate, but, once again I no longer have it. Is this the only method of communicating with the 300 series CPU? What do you recommend I order?

Can you please recommend the components to order so that I can build a test bench to cover the areas I mentioned (Communication cable, 300 CPU, Ethernet, Profibus)? please keep in mind that i want to get generic Siemens / Vipa components which are less expensive.

Thank you in advance.

Mike.

Last edited:
Depends on budget and what you have on site, you would want to match that and have a 'hot spare' set-up.

If possible I would get a 2DP version and not a compact if you only want remote IO (compacts are bricks with digital and analogue IO included).

For connection, Ethernet obviously as you will have that, also I now have a USB to MPI/Profibus adapter which is very good. Part No 6ES7972-0CB20-0XA0

But for the rest, chose from what your company has on site.