Anyone recommend good label inspection equipment?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,

We are looking at getting some full bottle label inspection equipment in the factory where I work. We currently use Mapex and they are quite good but I wondered what other systems people can recommend?

We need a system to detect label presence and label placement.
Can anyone recommend any good manufacturers of this equipment for me to look at.

Many thanks

;-)

Vision wise several companies will do what you want, Dalsa is an offshoot of cognex and pretty good at this sort of stuff, balluff are pretty good to, it all depends on budget and speed etc....

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Not sure about the Banner iVu, we really wanted a 'turnkey' solution but thanks for the suggestion.

Will have a closer look at Dalsa and Balluff.

Any others?

This (the v4) is what we have now.
http://www.mapexinspection.co.uk/products-inspect-label.htm

It's good but very expensive and I wondered if there was other good (or better) out there.

Keep any info coming. Many thanks ;-)

I would sugest a vision system, I use Cognex, My company makes playing cards, one instance we use the cameras for, is for checking to see if every card is present and in the correct order, it also checks the distamnce from the print on the card to the edge. since errors happen, we can have bad print, print not in correct position, or the cards were just cut wrong. Once the program is written, the setup is very easy.

Hi,

We are looking at getting some full bottle label inspection equipment in the factory where I work. We currently use Mapex and they are quite good but I wondered what other systems people can recommend?

We need a system to detect label presence and label placement.
Can anyone recommend any good manufacturers of this equipment for me to look at.

Many thanks

;-)
HPF out of Germany makes a system that will work for you.
I have installed a couple detecting broken or missing pills and such in a cavity.
The setup is fairly easy.
We have operators do their onw set up with a batch change, (try doing that with other systems, you'll end up with a mess) .
This is a full blown vision system and not a self contained-standalone type.
Worth the initial investment!

I have used Banner and Cognex. They both have their strengths and weakness. Do you want a stand alone system or integrated into a full system.

I would sugest a vision system, I use Cognex, My company makes playing cards, one instance we use the cameras for, is for checking to see if every card is present and in the correct order, it also checks the distamnce from the print on the card to the edge. since errors happen, we can have bad print, print not in correct position, or the cards were just cut wrong. Once the program is written, the setup is very easy.

You scan every card? Wow.

So you want a discrete output saying go /no go. If just need a small system look at Banner Engineering. If you want a complex system and need logical decisions look at Cognex.

Allzzzzzscott: when I started working there we used to use checkweighers (basically a loadcell on a conveyor) to check that each package was a full deck. Then the company switched to a different type of paper stock (cheaper) the problem that arose out of this was that the weight of the sheets in ech load would vary enough that the checkweighers were now useless. but we had one stoopervisor who set the checkweigher up, so that basically it wouldn't fail any product his alleged excuse was that the checkweigher should be able to tell the difference between a light good deck and a heavy good deck. (if you look up idiot in the dictionary, it has his picture there....lol) anyway allegedly one of these decks was used in a high stakes ***** game, and it turned out that the ace of spades was missing. So we had to figure out a way to determine if all the cards were in the deck, so we went with a cognex insight camera, which worked out really well, and then as these things go, they then wanted more, they wanted not only to check each card, then they wanted to check that each were in the correct order, then they wanted to make sure that each different colored joker was in the right order, then they wanted to check the registration (distance of pic to edge of card. with a lilttle programming help outside, it was all accomplished. The whole time I was laughing I took my supervisor down and showed him how the cards were going missing. we had an antique cutting machine, it had 2 transfer systems, which kept getting out of time. controlled by an old siemens plc which we didn't have the software to, so no hope of fixing that. lol we finally traded that machine to a nother plant for something newer. lol