Powerflex DC drive configuration with PLC5

yadavram7

Dear All,

I want to replace 1395 DC drive with Powerflex DC drive.
1395 DC Drive is communicating with PLC 5 via Remote I/O . Power Flex Drive I already installed and is working fine with HIM.
Now Problem is I want to run the Power flex drive through PLC5 vai Remote I/O adapter.
Can anyone help me to configure it with plc 5.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees
Help me.

Thanks in advance.

Ramkishore

This is an old post, so you've probably already figured it out. Unless you do messaging, you will not have as many direct input/output variables since the 1395 uses 16 bits for its parameters and the PowerFlex DC uses 32 bits for its variables. If you have the RIO footprint in the PLC5 input/output tables you'll just have to do some re-addressing (since each command/feedback - except the command and status words - are now 32 bits and take up 2 words).

Thanks John

Thanks John for your reply.

As you guess I hae already solved it out.

If any one have any problem related PFDC drives.
Plssssssss post there problems.

I just replaced a 1395 dc drive with a Powerflex dc over remote IO to a contrologix. Had Rockwell to help, was a nightmare. Wish I had started from scratch and went with ethernet. It's just that the ethernet network on this line was not to dependable. How did you go about the change? We had a lot of data exchange between the drive and the PLC.

We ended up just leaving it on RIO as IO Racks and living with less data going back and forth (32 bit variables vs 16 bit variables) since the upgrade from SLC5/05 to ControlLogix (and Ethernet) was near on the horizon.
If you're messaging to the drive you'll just have to change your message layout to account for the changing data size. We were hesitant to switch from RIO as IO Racks to Messaging since the SLC5/05 RIO networks were already taxed with communications to a IMC S Class (it went away with the ControlLogix upgrade).
If you're doing RIO as IO Racks you'll either have to change the 'footprint' of the drive (if there is room) or live with less data going back and forth.
I hope this is helpful or at least not actively harmful. Good luck.

That sounds right. I wish I could buy is a converter that would plug into the rio and out ethernet to the drive. Then have the plc see the connection as a 1395 and the drive see the box like a contrologix with pre-written conversions. My problem is I'm in a plant with dozens of 1395's on remote i/o which is going to need replacing over the next few years.

You could put in a ControlLogix with a 1756-RIO adapter (instead of a scanner) listening like up to 32 racks of 1395's (same rack number and size) and outputting Ethernet to the new Powerflex DC's. We're a system integrator in Decatur, Alabama; let me know if we can help.