MicroLogix1200 edit question

Mtech

I'm sure this has been asked and that it's not possible but I need to ask. I have two identical machines both with1200R micrologix plc's. If I make a program change to one I always do the other. The bad part is I have to make changes off line then download. Is there a software revision or a way to cheat this so I can edit online? These are great plc's but lack that extra option to help speed up my time making upgrades to the process.Thanks in advance.

You are correct; the MicroLogix 1000, 1200, and 1500 controllers do not support online editing. You must make your changes offline and download to the controller.

The MicroLogix 1100 and 1400 controllers do support online editing.

Because the MicroLogix 1100 and 1200 support the same Bulletin 1762 I/O structure, they are frequently used by OEMs who sometimes need Ethernet and online editing, and sometimes need a less expensive controller.

We used the Micrologix 1200 almost exclusively for quite some time. Then there was a shortage in Micrologix processors and the only ones our distributor could get were the 1400.

We have since kind of shifted to using 1400s most of the time. The Ethernet capabilities, combined with added slot capacity and online edit made it a good replacement. It also used the same I/O as the 1200/1100 and had more I/O on the base unit than the 1100 did. While not as many I/O as the 1200, it has close. They do cost more, but not a ton more. The benefits were worth it to us.