Hey! I can do Online Edits.

gbradley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have always had RSLogix 500 Starter version, so I've never done any online editing before.
I recently got a Micrologix 1400 and found that I can do Online Edits now.
I see that you have to Test edits before you can Assemble the Edits. (even if you know that it will work)
This is a lot nicer than going offline making changes and then downloading.
It seems that I can only edit one rung at a time.
Is this is because of the Starter Version?

Not sure if the version of Logix or the Micrologix imposes a limitation, but you should be able to edit multiple rungs, as long as the PLC has enough memory to store both the original and the replacement rungs at the same time. To do this, edit a rung, and accept it (look for the upper case I and R showing the new rung and the one it replaced) but don't test it yet. Then find the other rung(s) you want to change and do the same thing. When you have your edits in place, then Test Edits, make sure it works how you want, then Assemble them.

Last edited:
I see that you have to Test edits before you can Assemble the Edits. (even if you know that it will work)

secret handshake: it's not YOU that's testing the edits ... specifically, you're telling the PROCESSOR to test the edits ... more specifically, you're telling the processor: "OK, now I (the programmer) am ready for you (the processor) to start ACTING ON the changes that I've made to your program" ...

and another: when you ACCEPT a rung, you're actually SENDING to the processor ... many people assume (incorrectly) that the accepted rung doesn't actually "GO TO" the processor until they click "Test Edits" ...

The ML 1400 Can do multible rung online edits. Just be sure to highlight the rungs before pressing test/accept

You cannot do further edits while in "Test Edits" mode.

You can only edit rungs while in the "Untest" mode, or you have assembled your previous tested edits.

have always had RSLogix 500 Starter version, so I've never done any online editing before.
I recently got a Micrologix 1400 and found that I can do Online Edits now.
Is this is because of the Starter Version?
What Starter Version are you using? I ask this as I also have had nothing higher than the Starter Version over the years and have Never been able to online edit with anything.

Last edited:
My Starter Version is so old it won't program a Micrologix 1100 much less a 1400. My AB salesman was in the other day and offered a new Starter Version with the purchase of a new AB PLC. Might have to give him a call.

What does it say when you try to edit multiple rungs? There is a setting that needs changed in the CIP options of RsLinx if it is kicking you offine.

TWControls is correct. Use the following to correct Assemble edits fail,test edits fail, and online edit resource cannot be obtained from your processor error messages. RSLinx/communications/configure CIP options /then change max fast and slow messaging connections per plc settings to 1.Press apply and ok. You may also need to increase the time interval from default 1.25 to 8 sec.retry interval,256.00sec. Timeout.

Last edited: