using puTTY with citect

mathew.leonow

G'day lads,

I'm setting up a modem that is connected via rs232 to a PC running Citect on one of our plants.

MY GOAL IS: To send an SMS to a mobile phone when an alarm is triggered in citect.

would i be able to run an SSH program such as puTTY, then direct commands to the modem from Citect to send particular messages? if so....... HOW! haha.

here's what i'm thinking of doing....

> set up puTTY with the connection settings of the modem.
> In citect, use a trigger to call a cicode function.
> this cicode would open putty and set commands to send particular SMSs.

Hmm. I'm pretty stumped with it all because I'm quite new with communications and all that Jazz, but I'm nutting it out. And receiving feedback from other people helps my googl-ing skills haha

cheers, o_O

cheers bob,

hmmm, i think we're looking for a free alternative, because our application is only for a trial. if the operators see benefit in it, then we would look at implementing it on a full scale.

hmm, i'll keep playing around