Can Someone PLC 5 Savvy Take a Look

The Plc Kid

I have a couple of plc 5 programs a oven and a winder that i am trying to get some conditions in the winder to turn on some outputs in the oven. I am lost trying to find out how they are passing data. No messages just BT and they all appear to be to the related processors I/O which is on RIO so 2 RIO networks and 2 DH+ connections plus ? of what connects them together.

I can PM the link to download the files if anyone is willing to have a look and give me some advice. The files are a little big and i can't post them in the public.

Thanks

Look at channel configuration in the project tree and see if there is a value
in the "Global Status Flags" box for each DH+ port. see picture and pdf below.

GlobalStatusFlag.jpg

Attachments

• globa.pdf
    61.5 KB · Views: 19
Are the PLC-5 processors connected over RIO? They can transfer data using block transfer or discrete transfer over RIO. Check the channel configuration and see if one of the controllers has a channel configured as RIO Adapter.

OG

Are the PLC-5 processors connected over RIO? They can transfer data using block transfer or discrete transfer over RIO. Check the channel configuration and see if one of the controllers has a channel configured as RIO Adapter.

OG
This kicked my butt once...a PLC-5 was exchanging data with a SLC via RIO, and in the channel configuration we found the only evidence of which N files were being used for the transfer. Before that, I had only seen it done with O and I files.

Well There are RIO setups on both processors on both channels as all the i/o is RIO plus there is DH+ and this old machine does not have one stitch of prints at all. So i have no idea what goes where.

We have 5.5 mil to update it but it will not hapen til 1st quarter 2012. I am alraedy writing specs.

So I reviewed the PLC kid's program and am posting the results here for all since nothing I am adding gives away anything proprietary. I hope that's ok with you PLC kid. So below is what I found:

The Winder PLC-5 has channel 2B configured as Remote I/O Adapter mode. So that means it is sending and receiving data to the Oven PLC-5 over the Remote I/O network. Not sure how much you know about Adapter Mode but this method matches a BTR in one PLC to a BTW in the other (and vice versa). Though you don't actually write a BTR/BTW instruction in the adapter.

The Winder is configured to act as Rack 17 in the Oven. Any block transfers in the Oven addressing Rack 17 is for transferring to and from the Winder.

So to explain one of the transfers:

On Rung 5:78 in the Oven PLC-5 there is a BTR to 17:1:0 that reads 64 words from the Winder and stores it in N23:0 through N23:63.

In the Winder, Channel 1B has a BTW for 17:1:0 that uses BT9:6. Opening the data file and inspecting BT9:6, I see that it is setup to use file 22 which is of course N22. So N22:0 through N22:63 represents the data being transferred.

Going the other way now…..

BT9:7 in the Winder is configured as the BTR to read data from the Oven. Looking at BT9:7 it shows that N23:0 through N23:63 represents the destination for the data to be read from the Oven.

In the Oven, rung 5:79 contains the BTW which tells us that N22:0 through N22:63 is the source of the data.

The program is also transferring data using what is called “discrete transfer”. So Rack 17 outputs get sent from the Oven to the Winder where it lands in N20:0 (Channel Configuration Discrete Input Transfer Source). Likewise, N21 data (words 0-7) in the Winder get transferred to the Oven as Rack 17 inputs.

Discrete transfer is nice in that it requires no logic to do the transfer but it is limited to a real limited amount of data based on the rack size. As configured you are getting 8 words of input and 8 words of output at the cost of a full rack.

OG

In the Winder, Channel 1B has a BTW for 17:1:0 that uses BT9:6. Opening the data file and inspecting BT9:6, I see that it is setup to use file 22 which is of course N22. So N22:0 through N22:63 represents the data being transferred.

Going the other way now…..

BT9:7 in the Winder is configured as the BTR to read data from the Oven. Looking at BT9:7 it shows that N23:0 through N23:63 represents the destination for the data to be read from the Oven.

OG

OG

Thank you for taking a look at this. I have a couple more questions about it.
You post says the winder program has a btw that uses BT9:6 but i don't see that but i do see it in channel 2 B?

Doing a search for BT 9:6 it appears not to be used. So i assume it can be used in the channel config without it being in the ladder anywhere?

Last edited:
The structure you are describing I was looking at just yesterday in order to check a program I have that did not look right.

You dont even need a rack just the logix 5 software.

I think it would be easier for you to open Logix 5 create a new project, just leave default setups, then go into the channel config, and let the Select a module of choice mine was a 1771 IFE then let the PLC 5 create the addresses by using Auto pick.
Now goto into the setup screens and ask it to create the ladder rungs you can check the BT9:0 and 1 also the N10: structure as it builds

This will be easier than me trying to cover everything

Once finished dont even need to save it,

To answer yes or no to your question I feel what you described will be the situation you found
they just never created the Ladder rungs by Auto Pick or manual file pick or may have deleted them without taking it out of channel config

Last edited:
Gil buddy, You are referring to something entirely different!! This is PLC-5 to PLC-5 comms over RIO. No I/O modules here. Auto-pick doesn't apply.

So, the way PLC-5 processors handle Adapter Mode is a little odd. In the Scanner PLC-5 you program in BTR/BTW block transfer instructions to the "rack" that your Adapter Mode PLC-5 is using. Rack 17 in your case.

In the Adapter Mode PLC-5 you do not actually program the BTR/BTW instructions. But instead you manually configure the BT data file. When you open the BT data file you type in the data file where the data will be stored and you specify read vs write. But no BTR/BTW instructions. Odd huh!

Check out the PLC-5 manual here. Chapter 7 is on Adapter mode.

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1785-um012_-en-p.pdf

Specifically look at page 7-10 and print out page 7-10 through 7-19. It really helps to have the printed copy for this section.

OG

OG

I assume the rack address of the adapter has to be a rack number that is not used in the scanner plc correct?

Does it matter if that same racknumber is used in the adaptor plc or is it consumed in both?

EDIT:

Nm, That doesn't make sense either. The rack range varies depending on the processor. No clue.

Last edited: