Can someone recommend a PLC (inexpensive & datalogging)

neech

Hello all, love the forum.

So, I'm not really a PLC programmer... I'm an EE with lots of experience with FPGAs and programming, but unfortunately not familiar with PLC hardware other than what I've picked up in the last week.

Anyway, I've inherited a project finding and programming a PLC for a customer (not something we usually do, just a random project). The HW is fairly simple, about 10 digital inputs, 10 digital outputs to drive external relays, a few analog inputs and a few RTD/ThermoC inputs. And they need datalogging.

I had the Allen Bradley ML1100 picked out with 3 Expansion IO and a RedLion HMI.. After talking to the customer today, he announced that he needs to stay around the $1000 mark for the PLC/HMI HW. So that's out of the question.

Can anyone recommend a place to look for a cheaper PLC/HMI system that would still be able to do datalogging? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Mike

Last edited:
No-Quote that one, unless it is just to stay busy for a while. If you find hardware it will likely take a LOT more time to engineer and program reliably, and then the call backs will drain additional resources.
JMHO of course.

I’d look at the Pico controllers. A 12 digital input/6 relay output controller with I/O expansion ability retails for $367

You might want to look at the AB Micro800 series and a Panelview Component HMI, although I'm not sure about any datalogging.
Yes, for a $1000 budget, the Micro800 is a possibility, as is the Automation Direct CLICK PLC. If the analog inputs only need measuring and logging, then there are many more low-cost digital-I/O-only PLCs that would work (with a separate data-logging device). If the analog inputs are used to make decisions in the PLC program, then you must have a PLC with analog input capability, which means more money.

If the data logging is for the temperature and analog inputs, you could do that separate from the PLC, with a low-cost data logger system such as those from DATAQ Instruments:

http://www.dataq.com/index.html

Last edited:
Unless this is an OEM application where you are just trying to bleed the cost out of multiple units, I agree with Russ. Not worth quoting.
We have to assume that the price is beside the point. I have been in that position - sometimes it is a favor to an old customer, or for the boss's golfing buddy, or for the owner's wife. If it was inherited, most likely the situation was the reason for putting it on the back burner.
I've inherited a project finding and programming a PLC for a customer (not something we usually do, just a random project).

I don't know AB-plc have there UDP/Port selection property, but with Simatic CP-Units this works well. You can use same old PC. Is 50$ too much for this?

DATALOG.jpg

Hello all, love the forum.

So, I'm not really a PLC programmer... I'm an EE with lots of experience with FPGAs and programming, but unfortunately not familiar with PLC hardware other than what I've picked up in the last week.

Anyway, I've inherited a project finding and programming a PLC for a customer (not something we usually do, just a random project). The HW is fairly simple, about 10 digital inputs, 10 digital outputs to drive external relays, a few analog inputs and a few RTD/ThermoC inputs. And they need datalogging.

I had the Allen Bradley ML1100 picked out with 3 Expansion IO and a RedLion HMI.. After talking to the customer today, he announced that he needs to stay around the $1000 mark for the PLC/HMI HW. So that's out of the question.

Can anyone recommend a place to look for a cheaper PLC/HMI system that would still be able to do datalogging? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
Mike
www.heapg.com
Look into the OCS.
Data logging included.
For a bit more money you can get the XL6e, 5.6 color HMI/PLC combo with Ethernet on board, 2 ports (configurable RS232-485) and a protocol list that never ends to talk to your devices, with digital I/O, High Speed counter, PWM, 4 Analog inputs/RTD built into the unit.
You will need to buy a SmartStix module for the rest of the Analog I/O (cheapest option). Though, you could use a remore base with Ethernet and modules (more expensive).
Software is free as a download.
I do not work for Horner, just have been using their hardware for quite some time and cannot be beat pricewise for what they offer.

Thanks everyone for all the response, great community you have here.

You might want to look at the AB Micro800 series and a Panelview Component HMI, although I'm not sure about any datalogging.
Yes, for a $1000 budget, the Micro800 is a possibility, as is the Automation Direct CLICK PLC. If the analog inputs only need measuring and logging, then there are many more low-cost digital-I/O-only PLCs that would work (with a separate data-logging device). If the analog inputs are used to make decisions in the PLC program, then you must have a PLC with analog input capability, which means more money.
Thanks for the recommendation, I do believe I could get the system to around $1k with a Micro830, expansion IO, and a RedLion HMI for datalogging. Only about 10 parameters need to be logged every 5-6 hours for up to a few weeks, so memory space is not a huge concern.

www.heapg.com
Look into the OCS.
Data logging included.

These look nice, I haven't looked into their HW much yet but at a first glance it seems they both would have something that would work, and probably cheaper than the AB/RedLion combo. Is their software easy to work with? Would there be an easy way for the customer to offload the datalogs without having access to the program? (i guess maintenance workers may be offloading data). I guess I have some more research to do.

And as far as the project itself goes, the customer is looking for a solution to build into multiple units which will be deployed in several locations, hence the cost concerns.

Many thanks again,

Mike E.

My suggestion is Automation Direct DL06, an analog input card and a data logger from www.ljbeng.com. PLC - $251, Analog Input - $80 and data logger is $215. Total: $546. No HMI required to do the data logging. If you went with Click! the cost would go down a bit but need more IO modules to get to 10 in 10 out.