Can someone please help me understand this?

Alecias1991

If a programmable controller controls the operation of
a motor, what connects motor control to the PC?

A) Line voltage
B) I/O device
C) Modem
D) RS232 cable

This was a question on my test. I had B as the answer, but my instructor marked it wrong and selected D) RS232 cable as the correct answer. I am new to all this.

Isn't i/o what connects the controller to the process/motor being controlled?

I am self-teaching myself and have an instructor who test me or clarifies things.

You have to get clarification on what the instructor means by "motor control". From his answer, it sounds like he means a variable frequency drive, in which case either B or D could be correct. You could make an argument that an across-the-line starter is also a "motor control", and they aren't very often connected to PCs by an RS232 cable.
That also assumes that he means the abbreviation "PC" to refer to the programmable controller. If he really means for "PC" to refer to a personal computer and not the programmable controller, then he's just being an a$$hole.

Yet again another very poorly written question, so we have PLC that controls a motor, but a PC, how does this connect.
Firstly if a motor is controlled by a PLC then the Pc must be some sort of interface i.e. a Scada or acting as an HMI, there is no clarity in this question.
The PLC controls the motor, the PC (assuming what is meant that the operator interface is from the PC) only reads the status or sends commands to the PLC to control the motor.
Again what is to say that the connection is 232 or modem (which is ambiguous in it'self as the modem will probably be 232) then there are other types of communication i.e. Ethernet, 485/422 etc.
I'm shaking my head here, this is the sort of question that might have been relevant many years ago. up & coming students are definitely going to struggle with their careers.
When I decided I would like to become a TV engineer (liked the idea of a company car & freedom of the road)in the 70's, I attended a course in advanced colour TV theory, that particular year the exam board decided to bring their exam papers in line with some of the newer technologies, actually there was only a couple of questions that were included, one was a new way of generating the colour burst signal, this is a a burst of waves every scan line at 4.433619mz, each alternate line was 90 deg out of phase, originally the phase difference was generated by using a delay line component, this question showed a way of using digital means, the crystal used for the colour burt was double i.e. 8.86 mhz, the signal was then put though a flip/flop digital ic so the result was 4.433619 mhz with alternate phases. at that time there were no actual TV models on the market, it was at least a year before these came out. I was the only one in the class who got that question right, the reason was that the circuit was a drawing of the logic & the question was what is this used for (so for the uninitiated this would mean absolutely nothing) however, I had done a digital electronics course so by using my knowlege I could work out what the waveform was from the logic, realising that 8.86 was double the colour burst frequency & resulting waveform was 90 Deg out of phase each scan line.
Right back to the post, it seems that there are a number of issues, many tutors or exam bodies are not any better at the command of the relevant language which is expected, their knowledge is far behind current tech.
My rant for the day......

I would go back and state that an I/O device can directly "control" the start/stop condition of a motor.

A serial link "commands" some other smart device to control the motor.

If this is some form of training course, it's a load of cr@p. Just some clueless clowns wanting your $$$

Oops, did I type that out loud?

Craig

D is right. Connects to PC not PLC. Kind of a trick question.

I think B AND D are correct with the information we have. You can have an IO device linked to your PC that directly commands a relay to start a motor at the "motor control"... IO devices don't strictly require a PLC in between. If the PC speaks the same language as the IO device, it can be done.

However, again... what is an IO device in this regard?

These teachers should just be sacked... and quite possibly taken to court for fraud beforehand.

"Get your Electrical Controls Technology Diploma...sign-up now and we'll include this super-duper wire-stripper, absolutely FREE!"

See this garbage all the time in the US.

Craig

He said motor control can be a VFD or Servo. and that PC stands for computer and that only one of these options are correct. He referred me to this 1600-page book for the correct answer.

I will be getting a new instructor.

Reading the post again, it sounds like the PC is actually the PLC, so it could be 232 to the VFD but there is no mention of a VFD or VFD is missing from the list of options.
So should it be

A) Line voltage
B) I/O device
C) Modem
D) RS232 cable
E) VFD ??????
From that if the motor was controlled from a VFD then the connection could be 232 or I/O this tutor needs to be sacked!.
There is an old saying Garbage in Garbage out
Never mind, you have a one in four chance of getting it right.

RS232 is not multi-drop and nor does it feature differential transceivers. I do a lot of multi-drop FULL duplex but I use a 4-wire RS422/485 arrangement.

PWM and other sources of EMI? I would never consider RS232.

Craig

He said motor control can be a VFD or Servo. and that PC stands for computer and that only one of these options are correct. He referred me to this 1600-page book for the correct answer.

I will be getting a new instructor.
If we are connecting to a computer (PC) then of the choices RS232 is indeed the only reasonable one -- but why even mention the programmable controller then? From the initial statement ('a programmable controller controls the operation of a motor') there is no reason to expect a computer to be involved at all.

Calling it a trick question is being generous imo.

Yikes, you can find better course on Udemy or youtube. This type of instruction doesn't really help anyone. While the Q/A isn't technically wrong, I fail to see how it help the student to learn.