RS View Studio programming

Robb B

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all,

relatively recently stumbled across your site here, and just amazed at the depth of knowledge by the members. Maybe I could get some light shed on my current project and a number of errors...

some background I guess, this is a PanelView Plus 1250 and an SLC 5/05 to monitor and control treating processes. I copied an existing PanelView application and PLC logic from the #2 system and put them into the newly upgraded #1 system (#2 is an SLC 5/05 and PanelView 600). Both systems do exactly the same process, and have exactly the same sensors, etc. The #2 system has been working very well for a few years now.

There was quite a bit of changes made to the communications paths, individual tags got rewritten, description databases, and so on, all to make anything that referenced #2 now reference #1.

Communication is working between the controller and the display, but there are still a few errors that come up on the display application referencing to the original #2 system. I have gone through and found (and changed) every element I could that referred to #2.

The display application is now being added to, with controls put in for valves and pumps (open/close and start/stop). I've got a working open/close for one valve, but when I add a second set of open/close buttons for the next valve, the first ones give error state when the second ones are toggled. The error state goes away if one of the first valves buttons are pressed (either open or close, both fix it). Any ideas? More information needed? I am not at the site at the moment, and there is no internet access there.

Thanks in advance!

Are any parameter files being used with the displays?

Open one of the pages that seems to have a problem in Studio, click anywhere in the display window, do a "Select All", and then group them. Now try right clicking, and do a tagname substitute. See if there are still hidden references to #2.

Does this system use Direct Referencing Tags (yuck)? Or does it use the Tag Database? (or both, double yuck).

If it uses only a tag database, open the app up in studio, use "Tools" menu, and export the tag database to a CSV file. Open that up in Excel or equivalent, and just manually eyeball the actual PLC addresses for all tags (easier in Excel then in the Tag Editor).

I think rd has the solution that will help your fix. One thing I have used is to export screen by right clicking on Displays and use export command. I then goto exported file and use Open With command and pick wordpad. This allows you to use windows Search and Replace and see replacements. As others have said, My 2 cents. Good Luck.

rdrast: Your suggestion worked brilliantly! I exported the display pages as xml (it makes a separate file for each display page, be warned if you have many pages!) and then did a simple search in each for the undesired tag. Then I had to backtrack through the xml code to find the group or item that was referenced. Within RSView I was able to at least narrow down to the page with the problem, then using Object Explorer I could find the offending tag. Turns out 3 of the 7 were in a stacked 3-layer visibility text box. Anyway, all turns out well, the developed application thus far has no more errors!

Thanks again!

Congrats on your Solution !!

Glad to here you found your solution. Just for future reference. If you use Open With Command and use Wordpad you can make changes in Wordpad and then save. This will rewrite xml file and you can import back into View. Caution: Make sure you can open xml file after modifying in Wordpad. In Case you make errors. One other tip, After verifying xml will open with no errors I will use select all on screen and delete all objects. Then save blank screen and import xml file. I have had problems with import not overwritting all objects, but if you delete all then no problem.

There are no problems only unsolved solutions.