Can anyone recommend a Marquee Display?

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'd like to install one to notify operators of production rates and error conditions. We have an HMI, but it's not easy to see from where the operator usually works (HMI is really only used to operate the machine manually or if there's a jam). We have an In-View on site, but it's cumbersome to program (to say the least). I'd like to purchase something that's programmed like an HMI, where it polls the PLC periodically.

It will be viewed from around 30' away, and it'll be mounted 10' above the floor. 2" characters are probably big enough, with 24 character width.

So far, I've been looking at Red Lion and Vorne displays, but would consider anything suitable.

Will be a wash-down environment, but it can be mounted where it would only be subject to an occasional errant spray.

Must be compatible with ML1100 - preferably with an Ethernet driver.

Would anyone like to make a recommendation?

I use a bunch of the EZAutomation displays around here, coupled with an RTAAutomation Ethernet to Serial gateway to drive them.

To date, I've not had a failure of either display or gateway yet.

I just received a Red Lion LD marquee display, but the literature is less than sufficient for setting up comms with a ML-1100 over RS-485. I think I have the hardware set up properly, but I'm at a loss as to how to AWT to it.

I have Channel Zero set up correctly, I think. Driver = ASCII, Baud = 9600, parity = NONE, termination 1 = \d, termination 2 = \ff, Control Line = No Handshaking, Delete Mode = Ignore, RTS Off & Send Delay bother set to Zero, No ECHO or XON/XOFF

Display is set up simarily, except that I have tried 7 and 8 data bits.

I think the problem may be the string I want to send. I have it formatted as "N 00 T E S T <cr>".

I should mention that I have a 1761-NET-AIC module between the ML-1100 and the display. Baud rate select is set to 9600. I tried reversing "A" & "B" wires - no difference.

Error 00h is always displayed in the AWT box.

Has anyone successfully set up comms between these devices?

Solved!

Just in case anyone else runs across this issue...

Use "^M" instead of "<CR>" at the end of the string youy want to display.