Indramat Servo Systems

The Plc Kid

I need some opinions on Indramat servo motors and controls. We are about to buy a feed system that has Indramat servo's. I always try to use Rockwell servo's or Animatics never really used much indramat. Is it good quality stuff?

I don't have much experience with indromats, but the one time I worked on one, there support was excellent. It was an obsolete drive, and they where able to dig out some old schematics and help me get it going.... I told the customer that they where very helpful.... The application was a feed control for a stamping press.

Rexroth Indramat is one of world leader in motion control. Sercos technology came from them.

While I am not a servo guy, I have encountered Indramat on stamping press feeder systems occasionally. In every case, I found them to be very good.

I think you could proceed with confidence with Indramat assuming that the local support is good.

I have used them for boring and milling applications as well as stamping and I have to say I have always been impressed with them for several reasons:

1. Their software is easy to use (for setup , monitoring, and modifying) and (hold your breath) FREE
2. They are rugged as hell. We have applications where the drives have been in cabinets that easily hit 100F all summer long and they still last for 10 years and more.
3..As stated above their tech support is excellent whether from a local rep or from the main office.

My opinion, I wouldn't use anything else unless you want a lot of maintenance (especially in a stamping environment)or useless software packages that do little else than let you change the basic parameters or personality of the drives.

This is for a stamping system. We can get a AB system but it will be a boat load of money to change it as the oem standard is indramat.

My boss wanted me to do some research and tell him how he feels about using indramat.

In the meeting with the oem it will change to based on his experience he feels that!

It is really neat how he somehow thought of the same idea that i did. Just mere seconds before i did. :)

Excellent drives, excellent local reps and support from Chicago.
I used Indramat excusively in all my projects from 1993 to 2003.

We also used their motion controls and CNCs.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one that has ever had a bad experience then. I won't comment because I had a bad experience with them a few years ago, but that was as much the application and the environment as it was Indramats problem.