logix 5000 activation file

barney123

Hi,
Sorry For asking such a stupid question, but if any one has a few minutes to drop me a reply It would be much appreciated.

I have a pc at presant running logix5000 and rsview software.

I am worried that the system will go down someday and I will not have a backup. I was going to rehost the software to a dongle and setup a second pc with the software and if anything happens to pc number 1, I will have a second pc to run the plant by changing over the dongle.On my logix 500 software, I was able to rehost the software to a dongle and put the software on another pc and copy the activation file accross, So any pc that has the dongle can run the software.

But on LOGIX5000
Question is. when i go to my presant PC and search the rockwell activation file there is no text in it. Why is there no text in this file at presant

If I try to rehost this pc to a dongle over the internet will text appear in the activation file so that I can transfir to PC number 2.

And finally. The software that was used to load pc 1 (operating pc) has been taken from site, as this is a about a 4 year old installation and I had no clue to how all this system worked back then. Do I need these exact disks for above to work as you are asked (if I am thinking correctly) for a serial number when you load the software, and does serial number and hardware ID give you the activation text. If either is differant will it cause a problem.

Many Thanks in advance
barney

The early versions of logix 5000 had a floppy disk protection scheme using evmove. you may have an older version.

check if you have a support contract and do an upgrade to the new license format.

regards,
james