Options for getting data off of a Compact Logix L32E

mutabi

Hey guys, we have a CompactLogix L32E, collecting data. What options do we have to grab this data so it can be used on a PC?

I have no idea if it is, or isn't possible to have the PLC export data to an XML, CSV file. We currently use a PV600 to display the data.

If it is not possible, what would we need to make it possible?

Any ideas would be great!

Define what you mean by "used on a PC" ?

The standard mechanism for PC applications to access live controller data is called OPC. A license added to Rockwell's standard driver package (called RSLinx Classic) allows it to be an OPC Server to PC clients. There are literally dozens of other OPC servers that support the Logix family as well.

If your software is looking to parse an XML or CSV file containing historical or logged data rather than act as an OPC client for live data, look for a data logging or lightweight "historian" type software product.

At the very lowest level you could do a lot with a serial cable and a copy of RealTerm.